Need we say more?

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

She does have that million dollar smile, doesn't she, although the eyebrows need a little work. (But then I really like Anne Hathaway, so I’m slightly biased. A delightful talent.)

#18 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

True, but Ansanelli is a dancer. (If the makers of "Isadora" back in the Sixties had cast Lynn Seymour as in the title role, she wouldn't have been an exact physical match, but in spirit and style she would have been as close to Isadora as anyone could have gotten.)

Duff also strikes me as a little young for the movie's time frame described in the article - she will be playing the middle aged Fonteyn, not the young dancer. So in the best of all possible worlds a suitable mature ballerina would be cast in the role, although no one springs to mind offhand.

It may be, of course, that the filmmakers don't intend on showing much if any dancing, in which case the project would indeed be worth very little....

Thanks for commenting, everyone! Keep posting.

Do you mean the film "Isadora" with Vanessa Redgrave or the marvelous other Isadora film that starred the wonderful British actress Vivienne Pickles in the title role. ? Totally a non dancer, Ms. Pickles brought huge passion and clarity to the role. Well directed and with a good script, a non dancer could realistically play Fontyne. It also would depend on the story line. While we define the life of Fontyne by her dancing (duh!), still her other life away from ballet could prove quite a story. Wait and see.
mimsyb

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

Thank you for mentioning the movie with Vivian Pickles, mimsyb. I had heard of it but I’ve never seen it. It is true that depending on the story line chosen, there may not be much dancing involved. I guess in this case we can only wait and see!

#20 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

Here is our Fonteyn:

http://www.tvguide.c...l...150&page=40

Need we say more?

I might get flamed for saying this--but Anne Hathaway is too beautiful to be Margot Fonteyn.

#21 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

You won't get flamed by me. Fonteyn was not a beauty, I agree. But on the stage it didn't matter, because there the charisma and skill of the performer can create the illusion of beauty. But she had pretty features, a lovely smile and figure, and, as she once noted, nice legs, and she made the most of what she had with impeccable grooming. She also photographed well in stills.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Hathaway is too beautiful to play her, though.

#22 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

You won't get flamed by me. Fonteyn was not a beauty, I agree. But on the stage it didn't matter, because there the charisma and skill of the performer can create the illusion of beauty. But she had pretty features, a lovely smile and figure, and, as she once noted, nice legs, and she made the most of what she had with impeccable grooming. She also photographed well in stills.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Hathaway is too beautiful to play her, though.

No flaming here either. Fonteyn had beautiful proportions in a classical sense. Just beautiful and pleasing to look at. Photos of a young Fonteyn reveal a South American look (in my opinion) that was not so apparent as she matured.

I still vote for Alexandra Ansanelli (a useless fantasy)

#23 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:23 AM

By the standards of her day Fonteyn was a beauty (and in my ancient eyes, remains so), but I'm praying this ill-conceived project never gets off the ground. I'll be grateful for the recession if it prevents this abomination getting to the screen.

#24 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

Sounds like this might be a good topic for a Ballet Talk POLL. :(

#25 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

Perhaps 'Generation Me' would prefer that Alina Somova be Fonteyn? (tee-hee)

Awww, c'mon guys, Fonteyn was (is) THE epitome of the perfect face, the perfect features, the perfect body for ballet -- though I am not saying that her technical skills then would match-up to today's ballerinas, 50 yrs later. [She most likely would have matched or exceeded today's requirements, had they been requirements.] Every time that I've seen Anne Hathaway on the red carpet, her hair up, in a glamorous super-slim beaded gown, I instantly remember Fonteyn.

#26 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

Hathaway looks similar in still photos, but I'm less convinced in movement. I haven't seen the Jane Austen film, so don't know if she moderated her physicality for a period work, but I think she doesn't innately have the upper/lower body coordination that marked Fonteyn, even in pedestrian moments -- I don't remember ever seeing a graceless action. But even if it's not ingrained, she may be a skilled enough actress to learn the style.

#27 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Perhaps 'Generation Me' would prefer that Alina Somova be Fonteyn? (tee-hee)

Awww, c'mon guys, Fonteyn was (is) THE epitome of the perfect face, the perfect features, the perfect body for ballet -- though I am not saying that her technical skills then would match-up to today's ballerinas, 50 yrs later. [She most likely would have matched or exceeded today's requirements, had they been requirements.] Every time that I've seen Anne Hathaway on the red carpet, her hair up, in a glamorous super-slim beaded gown, I instantly remember Fonteyn.

I certainly would not like to see Somova as Fonteyn. If I had my choice of casting, it would be a dancer. Fonteyn had the perfect proportions for ballet, but I don't consider her a natural beauty. She matured very well, and was beautiful in a glamorous way. Her features looked different when she was younger before her nose job(s) (according to the Daneman bio). Vipa mentions a South American look about her; wasn't her mother half Brazilian? I might cast Roberta Marquez as Fonteyn; I've really enjoyed the clips on youtube of Marquez in Symphonic Variations. I don't know if she's been at the Royal enough to embody the British style, and she would have to work on an accent.

#28 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

If we were to cast a dancer in the role, I'd nominate Jenifer Ringer, whose coloring and proportions match Fonteyn's and who is also a natural beauty (I agree with Natalia on Fonteyn's qualifications as a beauty).

I am not familiar with Hathaway's work, but I sense in her an extroverted nature, which runs counter to Fonteyn's air of regal restraint.

#29 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

I agree about both Ringer and Hathaway, Carbro. For me, this is a bit like choosing who might play Maria Callas or another similar artist: ultimately impossible, but still interesting to consider.

#30 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Fonteyn had the perfect proportions for ballet, but I don't consider her a natural beauty. She matured very well, and was beautiful in a glamorous way. Her features looked different when she was younger before her nose job(s) (according to the Daneman bio).

In early photographs you see an attractive girl with baby fat, a lot of hair around the forehead, and yes, the nose is a tad chunky. She wasn’t a raving beauty like Shearer or glamorous like May, but she made herself beautiful and her features were perfect for the theatre.

If I had my choice of casting, it would be a dancer.

For sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):