This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Interesting ballet history?

I will be doing a ballet history project next year. I was wondering, which are a few interesting fields in ballet history to do a reasearch project on. I don't know much about it :rolleyes: (I am willing to learn :) ) and would greatly appreciate all the suggestions provided by all of you.

I hope this is the right forum to post my question. Feel free to move it, if that means I am to receive more attention. ;)

Keep your suggestions comming! Thanks in advance!

Nadezda, I really like the Romantic Era the best! There is a lot of good information on that, and the stories of the ballerinas and of the ballets that were developed during that time are wonderful! But there are a lot of different directions you could go with this, so I would suggest you get a book that does kind of an overview, and see what portion strikes you as one you would like to investigate further. :)

Thanks Victoria! I will do what you suggested! I was thinking mostly of Romantic era, too. :) But 20th century ballet is so very interesting, too. But I am unfortunate not to know much about the later.

Well, if anyone has any suggestions, please, post them. I am hoping to get many advices and to then choose from them. (A little egoistic, I know :rolleyes: )

Thanks again!

Nadezhda, I'd say, if you don't know much about 20th century dance, why not pick something that interests you? If it's a year-long project, try to find something you're sure you can live with :) So either the one thing you're most curious about, or the thing you know the least about, but feel you should know more. Vague, I know, but hope it helps.

Something I used to do when I was in your position was go to the library and browse through the books at random. Often I would come across interesting stuff I never would have thought of on my own.

You might look at Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes. There's tons of information out there and lots of colorful anecdotes and personalities associated with the era.

It really depend what interests you but I would say Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes is a good choice, not just because it's facinating, but also because, as dirac says, of the sheer volume of good reference material and first-hand accounts. I've studied it myself and I'd be quite happy to point you towards some useful books and give you any information that might help.

If you really can't decide try looking through a general ballet history book (Clement Crisp and Mary Clarke's 'Ballet, An Illustrated History' is a good one) and just picking what attracts you most.