This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Boston Ballet season 2009-2010

Announced April 6th:

Night of Stars

September 19, 2009

Giselle

October 1-11, 2009

World Passions

October 22-November 1, 2009

The Nutcracker

November 27-December 27, 2009

Coppélia

April 8-18, 2010

Ultimate Balanchine

May 6-16, 2010

Black and White

May 20-30, 2010

World Passions consists of Paquita, Vicktor Plotnikov's Rhyme, Jorma Elo's Carmen/Illusions, and a new work by Helena Pickett. Ultimate Balanchine will consist of Four Temps, Apollo, and Theme and Variations. Seems there's also been promotions and there are four new principals: Kathleen Breen Combes, Melissa Hough, Misa Kuranaga and James Whiteside. I'm super thrilled about KBC being promoted, she's one of my very favorites and I knew it was only a matter of time!

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed by this season. I feel like we just saw Giselle, and why repeat Black and White so soon? Maybe they're trying to keep it simple with the venue change? On the upside, I'm quite pleased with Coppelia and the Balanchine program, though I guess I'll still have to wait to see Agon someday. I'm also glad they will have more contemporary stuff this year, and I do enjoy Helena Pickett's work.

Thoughts?

The Night of Stars lineup has been announced:

BOSTON BALLET OPENS 2009-2010 SEASON

WITH NIGHT OF STARS AT

THE BOSTON OPERA HOUSE

Company’s International Roster of Rising and Seasoned Stars are Showcased

in New Works and Repertory Favorites

Special Guests Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg of The Royal Ballet

BOSTON, MA – September 3, 2008 – Artistic Director Mikko Nissinen announced today the complete repertoire and casting for Boston Ballet’s one-night-only, all-star performance, Night of Stars, which takes place Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 7pm. This performance marks the start of Boston Ballet’s premiere season in its new home, The Boston Opera House, and the beginning of a new era for the Company. Night of Stars features the full company, as well as students of Boston Ballet School, the Boston Ballet Orchestra, and internationally renowned guest artists Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg of The Royal Ballet.

“I’m thrilled to welcome Boston into our new home for Night of Stars,” said Nissinen. “This evening is a celebration of dance and music. It’s the perfect way to kick off a new era and new season. Night of Stars has something for everyone – a chance to see contemporary work take the stage with classical technique, to experience the beautiful Boston Opera House, and enjoy the sounds of the Boston Ballet Orchestra in the newly restored orchestra pit.”

The evening will open with an excerpt from Balanchine’s Diamonds, performed by the company last spring and met with rave reviews from The New York Times. The program also features works by Jirí Kylián, Helen Pickett, Marius Petipa and a new work by Boston Ballet principal dancers Melissa Hough and James Whiteside. Boston Ballet’s new company members and seasoned stars will be highlighted in a wide range of works.

This year’s celebrated guest artists are Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg of The Royal Ballet, who will perform the pas de deux from Coppélia.

Cojocaru trained in Kiev before joining The Royal Ballet School in 1998 on a Prix de Lausanne scholarship. She returned to dance with Kiev Ballet for a year before joining The Royal Ballet. Cojocaru was promoted to principal in 2001. Cojocaru has received The Nijinsky Award, the Prix De Lausanne, and the gold medal in the Nagoya International Ballet Competition, among other international prizes and awards.

Kobborg entered the Royal Danish Ballet School in 1988 and shortly after became an apprentice with the company. He joined the Royal Danish Ballet in 1991 and was promoted to principal in 1994. Kobborg joined The Royal Ballet in 1999 after having performed with the company as a guest artist. Among numerous distinguished prizes and awards, Kobborg was nominated for the Benois de La Danse and the Laurence Olivier Award.

The complete Night of Stars programming follows:

Casting and repertoire subject to change.

Diamonds (excerpt)

Music: P.I. Tchaikovsky

Choreography: George Balanchine

Dancers: Company

Harlequinade (excerpt)

Music: Riccardo Drigo

Choreography: Marius Petipa

Dancer: Whitney Jensen, Jeffrey Cirio, Isaac Akiba

Zero Hour

Music: Antonio Vivaldi

Choreography: Melissa Hough and James Whiteside

Dancers: Melissa Hough and James Whiteside

The Little Humpbacked Horse (excerpt)

Music: Rodion Shchedrin

Choreography: Aleksandr Radunksy

Dancer: Larissa Ponomarenko

Giselle (Act II pas de deux)

Music: Adolphe Adam

Choreography: after Marius Petipa and Jean Coralli, staged by Maina Gielgud

Dancers: Erica Cornejo and Nelson Madrigal

Eventide (excerpt)

Music: Phillip Glass

Choreography: Helen Pickett

Afternoon of a Faun

Music: Claude Debussy

Choreography: Vaslav Nijinsky

Dancers: Altan Dugaraa and Lorna Feijóo with Company

Rose Adagio

Music: P.I. Tchaikovsky

Choreography: Marius Petipa

Dancer: Misa Kuranaga, Yury Yanowsky, Sabi Varga, Jaime Diaz, Bo Busby

Petite Mort

Music: Wolfgang Mozart

Choreography: Jirí Kylián

Coppélia (pas de deux)

Music: Leo Delibes

Dancers: Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg

Courtesy of The Royal Ballet

Défile

Dancers: Company, Boston Ballet II and Boston Ballet School students

2009-2010 Season Tickets

New subscriptions for the 2009-2010 season and tickets for The Nutcracker are on sale now. Tickets for the 2009-2010 season are on sale now. All 2009-2010 tickets may be purchased through Boston Ballet by phone at 617.695.6955 or in person at the box office at 19 Clarendon Street, Boston, Mon–Fri, 9am-5pm and Sat, 11am-6pm (Sat hours Sept–May only). Subscriptions and all tickets are available for sales online 24 hours a day at www.bostonballet.org. Prices for season ballets and Night of Stars start at $25. Prices for The Nutcracker start at $35. Discounted group tickets (10 or more for season ballets and 20 or more for The Nutcracker) are available by calling Boston Ballet’s Group Sales at 617.456.6343. Contact the Boston Ballet Box Office at 617.695.6955 or visit www.bostonballet.org for details.

About Boston Ballet

Since 1963, Boston Ballet has been one of the leading dance companies in the world on stage, in the studio and in the community. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Mikko Nissinen and Executive Director Barry Hughson, the Company maintains an internationally acclaimed repertoire and the largest ballet school in North America, Boston Ballet School.

Boston Ballet maintains a repertoire of classical, neo-classical and contemporary works, ranging from full-length story ballets to new works by some of today's finest choreographers. Boston Ballet's second company, Boston Ballet II, is comprised of pre-professional dancers who gain experience by performing with the Company and independently, presenting lecture-demonstrations and special programs to audiences throughout the Northeast.

Boston Ballet School, the official school of Boston Ballet, has a long-standing dedication to excellence and access and reaches more than 10,000 students ages 2-adult each year through Boston Ballet School classes, Summer Dance Workshop, Summer Dance Program, Citydance, Taking Steps, and Adaptive Dance. The wide array of dance programs are held at four studio locations in Boston, Newton, Norwell and Marblehead, as well as community centers and in Boston Public Schools.

Boston Ballet gratefully acknowledges the following institutional partners:

State Street Corporation, 2009 Presenting Sponsor, The Nutcracker

Jane’s Trust

Massachusetts Cultural Council

National Endowment for the Arts

Boston Organ & Piano, Official Piano Supplier of Boston Ballet

Alina and Johann were beautiful. She is just adorable on stage. Sometimes I feel that we live in an age of ballet where audience members value multiple turns, higher jumps, crazy fouettes - more, bigger, better. It is easy to get caught up in that. True, she can balance for ages (and the audience went wild) - but they both proved that none of that is necessary. Their performance was just plain fluid and lovely.

As galas go overall, I was a bit disappointed. Larissa Ponomarenko deserved a better piece than a little solo from Humped Back Horse, and although Lorna Feijoo was beautiful in Afternoon of the Faun, I felt she deserved something more also. I also missed seeing Yury Yanowsky.

Christian - She will be dancing Giselle in upcoming performances, along with Paquita and the lead role in Elo's Carmen in Boston's World Passions. I was just sad that we didn't get to see her do a pas. As well, I would like to have seen Larissa do one, too. Both are stunning ballerinas - different and with their own strengths. I have a great respect for both.

Indeed, she did. I just didn't want to see Giselle on the program since we have two weeks of it coming up.

OMG..!!! I can't believe you just said that, dear...!!! I ENVYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YOUUUU!!!! :wink: (Thinking about it, it's the mom, that would be a trip worth to make to Boston...to see my most beloved ballerina dancing my most beloved ballet! ...mmm, let's think about it... :wink: )