30 replies to this topic

#16 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:13 AM

It was announced today by Monica Mason at a press conference that Alexandra Ansanelli would retire from the Royal Ballet, and from dancing, in June.

She will perform throughout the season and at the Kennedy Center as previously announced.

When Miss Ansanelli left NYCB this is what she said in an interview with Gia Kourlas. see http://www.nytimes.c...0ansa.html?_r=1

Like many I am rather shocked at this sudden news, as Miss Ansanelli has worked very hard to become a fully fledged Principal dancer with the Royal Ballet where she had gained a number of successes since she joined the company in January 2006 as First soloist. Her roles have include Terpsichore in Apollo, Tchaikovsky pas de deux, 2nd aria couple in Stravinsky Violin Concerto, Coppelia, Sugar Plum Fairy, Gamzatti, Red Queen in Checkmate, Afternoon of a Faun, Aurora, Lilac Fairy as well as other roles.

Senior London critic John Percival in The Stage wrote, “His Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux introduces a new star, Alexandra Ansanelli, transferring from NYCB to the Royal. Her swift, light exactness and convincing musicianship in this voluptuously virtuosic duet promise a fine future....."

Roslyn Sulcas (see: http://www.nytimes.c...sulc.html?_r=1)
who made the trip to London to see Ansanelli make her debut as Aurora
Noted, “The famously tart British critics agreed. “When I saw that Alexandra Ansanelli was down to dance Aurora at Covent Garden, I wondered if she’d be up to it,” Luke Jennings wrote in a review in The Observer. “If there are doubters, she wins us over.” The venerable Clement Crisp, who remembers Fonteyn in the role, was even more effusive. “She brought a radiant assurance to the role,” he wrote in The Financial Times.”

Ahead, Miss Ansanelli has performances of “Ondine” to look forward to and will end her career with the Royal in London in a series of performances in Jewels.

Miss Ansanelli has had success with two of the world's major ballet companies a dream few dancers can realise. I wish good fortune in what ever path Miss Ansanelli decides to take.

#17 mira

mira

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:21 AM

I had the good fortune to attend a performance of NYCB's Nutcracker in 1996 or 1997 (not sure...) with Alexandra Ansanelli as Dewdrop. She lit up the stage - so completely alive and captivating. I didn't know much about ballet then, but as just an ordinary audience member, she left me with an indelible impression of joyful artistry and delight. I wonder if any of her perfomances are available on dvds/videotape? thanks and best wishes to Alexandra!

#18 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

Although I've only seen her on the Bringing Back Balanchine DVD, I was particularly impressed by her mature response to the Serenade incident. She seems like an uncommonly intelligent and thoughtful young woman. My best wishes to her.

#19 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

I'm pretty sure tha tAlexandra played one of the child Ponchinelles (I'm sure I botched that spelling) in the NYCB version of Nutcracker (yes, the one with MacCauley Kulkin).

#20 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

Although I've only seen her on the Bringing Back Balanchine DVD, I was particularly impressed by her mature response to the Serenade incident. She seems like an uncommonly intelligent and thoughtful young woman.

There's a related comment in the Sulcas article linked by leonid. Antoinette Sibley (who coached Ansanellli's Aurora) is quoted as saying::

We also discussed interpretation; she likes to talk about things and examine them, and I think it shows onstage.”

I really admire thoughtful dancers. Of course, they need more than just analysis. Jonathan Cope refers to "than Ansanelli fire" in the same article:

She has such a natural theatricality; she really lives the performance. Of course, she is also just a little mad, which every great performer has to be.

#21 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

I'm pretty sure tha tAlexandra played one of the child Ponchinelles (I'm sure I botched that spelling) in the NYCB version of Nutcracker (yes, the one with MacCauley Kulkin).

According to the credits Alexandra danced a Candy Cane.

I enjoyed reading about her rise at the Royal Ballet and wish her the best.

#22 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

All of this reminds me of Maria Almeida, ca 1989/90, another lovely RB principal who similarly decided to give-it-all-up while in her 20s.

#23 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

Before she goes, Ansanelli creates a new role in Alastair Marriott's ballet Sensorium, which has its premiere on Monday. (Music by Debussy, not much else known about it yet.)

#24 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

There is an article in today's NY Times regarding Ansanelli's retirement. She says she is leaving ballet because it no longer completes her as a person. She is quoted as saying that she was crying every day, which led her to realize that she had to make a change. It sounds like this has been a very difficult decision for her.

http://www.nytimes.c...6ansa.html?_r=2

#25 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

Whatever way she choose, may she find the peace. She is a lovely dancer and seems to be a very special person.

#26 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

I was disheartened reading that article. I hope she finds something to do that will make her happier. :)

#27 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Ansanelli was a favorite of mine at NYCB, and I was very disappointed when she left. I admire her courage in going to the Royal, where she would have to assimilate a very different style, and take a soloist contract, having been a principal at NYCB, so I was delighted when she was promoted to principal.
I too hope she will return to dancing after a break, but whatever her future holds, I wish her happiness.

#28 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

Ansanelli was a favorite of mine at NYCB, and I was very disappointed when she left. I admire her courage in going to the Royal, where she would have to assimilate a very different style, and take a soloist contract, having been a principal at NYCB, so I was delighted when she was promoted to principal.
I too hope she will return to dancing after a break, but whatever her future holds, I wish her happiness.

I wish the same. Cynthia Gregory retired for a time (I believe she felt burnt out) and then returned to ABT. Perhaps Ansanelli will do the same. Whatever happens I wish her well. I loved her at NYCB>.

#29 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

That NYT article has been on my mind all day. The part where she says that dance felt like failure... I hope some day she realizes that for many of us of her generation, she's been positively inspirational.

#30 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

Ansanelli issued a release through Pointe Magazine (which sent it out as a preview to their new issue with AA on the cover):

A Statement from Alexandra Ansanelli

Alexandra Ansanelli, our June/July cover model, recently announced that she will retire from ballet at the end of this season. A principal with New York City Ballet, and now The Royal Ballet, she has asked Pointe to share the following statement.

Since age 11, I have been devoted in all aspects of my life to the art of ballet. Many sacrifices have been made in order to achieve the highest level of excellence of my capability. To me ballet is a religion, a devotion, a marriage. It demands that the mind, the body, and the spirit be present at all times.

At 15, my intense professional life began and "life" had an entirely new meaning. It has been very hard to accept for myself that my desires have changed. Yes, dancing the great neo-classical works as well as the classic ballerina roles has been very rewarding as an artist--but something inside is calling me in a new direction. I cannot deny that inner voice. It is what led me on this amazing journey. What is the voice calling me to now? I do not know yet. But time is passing by and I must make this next step in order to create more balance in my life.

There have been so many rewards working with geniuses of the entertainment world, as well as with two premiere companies, each striving to maintain the art in a different vein, located in different parts of the world. I shall be finishing the season at the Royal Ballet/Opera House on June 19th with the ballet Jewels, dancing "Rubies," a piece that I love--jazzy and pure Americana! We shall then tour to Washington, DC's Kennedy Center. On June 24th I will dance Natalia Petrovna in Ashton's dramatic masterpiece A Month in the Country. The final performance will be in Cuba a few weeks later.

Most importantly I shall miss the amazing artists, teachers and directors that I have worked with in the ballet world. They have enabled me to make the most of each role with their knowledge and collaborative efforts. I would like to thank directors Peter Martins and Monica Mason for enabling me to grow and experience ballet to its fullest. My friends and fans have been so understanding and supportive during all moments of this ride. Most of all, I thank my family, especially my mom and dad. Anyone who has been a part of my career knows how unbelievable they have been. No child could ask or wish for anyone more loving, sincere and, most importantly, brutally honest. I love you both so deeply and thank you for always believing in me.

I have never taken the gift that God has given me lightly. That is why this has been such a tormenting decision that has been in my mind for many years. But I know that this creative energy will always need to be expressed during my life. Hopefully I will be able to share it in many mediums in the future. I cannot live without expression!

To my beautiful first love of my life I say...Goodnight sweet love, goodnight.

With love and deepest thanks,

Alexandra Ansanelli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):