This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Display of posts in a thread

Hi all,

I've noticed a difference in the way posts in a thread are displayed over the last few weeks.

Previously , if I selected a thread/topic, I would see a display of all the posts that had been applied to the thread in order using however many pages it was necessary with the ability to select the different page numbers.

Recently, if I click on a thread I see only the original post and the lastest one. Sometimes the two most recent posts. And there is a diagram at the bottom

of the page showing links for each post with a structure of how each post was replied to, i.e. was it a reply to the original post or to a later reply.

I find this difficult to keep track of which posts I've already read as this structure is not in chronological order.

Do I have the option to change the way this display works for me? I found the previous arrangement with each post in chronological order more efficient.

I ask if it's an option because this display is what I see on my own laptop but if I access BT from work , I see the older arrangement that I am more used to.

Thanks to the mods or anyone else for any assistance/suggestions!

Richard :P

This has happened to people occasionally.

Try going to the "Options" box - it's on the right hand side at the top of the thread and clicking on "standard view" - once or twice I've visited BT via a Google search for an older discussion and the search engine found it in "outline view" and my browser (Firefox) toggled over and kept the option.

Try going to the "Options" box - it's on the right hand side at the top of the thread and clicking on "standard view" - once or twice I've visited BT via a Google search for an older discussion and the search engine found it in "outline view" and my browser (Firefox) toggled over and kept the option.

Thanks, Leigh!

That seems to have done the trick.

I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me how you get those boxes around parts of posts to which you want to respond. I don't seem to be able to figure it out and always end up using quotation marks, which aren't nearly as graceful and clear. Thanks,

angelica

I hit "reply" (next to 'edit' below the post) so that the whole quote comes up with the HTML. Then I delete the parts of the post I don't need for my response.

For example, here's your entire post brought up with all the codes by pressing "reply":

I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me how you get those boxes around parts of posts to which you want to respond. I don't seem to be able to figure it out and always end up using quotation marks, which aren't nearly as graceful and clear. Thanks,

angelica

Here's your post with part of it removed manually by me:

I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me how you get those boxes around parts of posts to which you want to respond.

When you delete the extraneous parts, make sure you don't delete the part between the first set of brackets you'll see when you hit "reply" (nor the brackets!), or the word 'quote' (the endquote) in the last set of brackets (nor the brackets). If you do accidentally delete the endquote, just type it in manually. It's needed to close the quote off and make it appear in a box.

A second way to do it is to 'copy' the part you want and hit "add reply" (next to 'start a new topic') at the bottom right of the page. When you get to the box to write your post, press the quote icon (little picture of a quote cloud, like in the comics) which is the third icon going in from the left on the menu above the writing box. You'll see brackets with the word 'quote' in them followed by brackets with the word 'quote' after a slash mark appear in the writing box.

Position your cursor between the two sets of brackets (you can make them go farther apart by using the space bar, if you like) and 'paste' your copied part of the post into the space. Then, go ahead and add your response. You'll get a nice box around the quote when your post is posted.

(Alternately, you can 'paste' your post part first, then highlight it,

I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me how you get those boxes around parts of posts to which you want to respond.

and then, press the quote icon. I just did that above. These two ways do leave out the original poster's name, date, and time of post, though.

If your don't want the original poster's name, necessarily, then you can also manually type in a (bracket - the word 'quote' - end bracket) at the beginning, and (bracket - forward slash - the word 'quote' - end bracket) at the end of your quote.

(If I actually put in the marks I described, it would come out

and give me the empty box you see, hence the descriptive words above.

In conclusion, all roads lead to Rome!