This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Oregon Ballet to cut budget by 28 percent

That's great news. We are very happy. However, we did receive a notice from OBT this past week stating that our Sunday matinée tickets were being moved to Saturday for a couple performances. My guess is that it's due to the cutting of performances and saving on auditorium rental.

That's great news. We are very happy. However, we did receive a notice from OBT this past week stating that our Sunday matinée tickets were being moved to Saturday for a couple performances. My guess is that it's due to the cutting of performances and saving on auditorium rental.

Hi, M&S.

We haven't cancelled any performances for the upcoming season. In fact, we're doing four more shows next year than we did in 2008/09.

When you filled out your subscription form, did you indicate a first and second choice for performance days? It sounds like you might have been given the Saturday shows because the available seating in your section wasn't as good on Sundays - or else was sold out entirely.

I apologize if we switched your performance dates in error. If that's the case, please call our box office at 503.2.BALLET and we'll correct it right away.

Best,

Erik at OBT

Looking at the 990s online is revealing. Fiscal years 2005 and 2007 were more or less in balance but fiscal year 2006 was a real disaster year. Gross receipts lagged and expenditures ballooned. What was going on that year???

FY06 was the season we increased the size of the company, went from four programs to five, and staged our first full-length Swan Lake - hence the increase in expenses. Ticket sales were actually up that year almost $500,000 from FY05. If you scroll down to Part VII in the 990 though, you'll see that we also wrote off over nearly $800,000 in pledges to a cancelled capital campaign. That's what caused the net drop in revenue.