This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Swan Lake Casting and ReviewsApril 9-11, 16-19

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

I saw Miranda Weese on Friday night and have other things to say, but no time right now, except that Kyle Davis replaced Porretta as the Jester, which makes me hope that Porretta isn't injured.

And apparently he was not injured, just incapacitated from an allergy test, and is on his way to being well, according to the press office at the company.

#32 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

I've been putting off taking the time to write something about this program, but given what I saw at the last performance of this program's 2 week run (last Sunday evening), I have to say something.

I had bought a ticket to that last performance (my fourth) to see Carrie Imler who has been an inspiration to me for many years now. I number several other dancers among "my favorites", but when all is said and done, and considering how long Carrie has held me in awe, and the range of dance styles she seems to be so at home in, and the absolute perfection of her dancing, I guess she is the one dancer I will always walk over hot coals to see. Well, she couldn't dance due to Bold's injury. I was so disappointed that Nakamura was going to do the O/O role since I had just seen her the night before (Saturday). Sometimes you get lucky! I still wish I had had a chance to see Carrie, but I wouldn't trade the performance I saw Sunday night for anything. I don't really know if it was me, or if it was the dancers, but I saw an extraordinary performance Sunday night. (I see from her comments that Helene was also impressed by the performance.) This "last-performance-let's-pull-out-all-the-stops" quality was particularly striking to me since I had just seen essentially the same cast 24 hours before.

There is so much I could give the credit to, but it all centered on the extraordinary chemistry between Kaori Nakamura as O/O and Lucien Postlewaite as Siegfried. They were magical together. They are both such great dancers with total confidence, technique, and dedication to quality.....and this night they just give their all. It was one of the most exciting performances I have ever seen. Somehow or other the competence and energy of this pair infected nearly everyone else in the cast. Practically everyone was at the top of their game.....I will only mention a few: I've been noticing William Yin-Yee out of the corner of my eye, but I've not truly seen his potential until struck that night by his performance in the Czardas in Act III (with the remarkable Kari Brunson); he has such flare and is unafraid to "own the stage". Benjamin Griffiths absolutely nailed the Jester. I never thought anyone could surpass Poretta in that role, but Griffiths brought not only spectacle to the dancing but an elegance and fluidity that just sang. And I can't say enough about Jordan Pacitti. He is an under-appreciated dancer (at least during the last 2 years). He has always been a superb character dancer, but the feeling and insight he brings to such "secondary" roles is stunning. He contributes so much to this company in a quiet and unassuming way. I wonder if our audience knows how lucky we are to have someone of Jordan's dramatic abilities doing these roles. His approach to Wolfgang's "drunken tutor with the girls" dance took what might otherwise be forgettable to a level of high artistry (IMHO, it's a far more difficult role to dance than it appears). And finally, as always, my eyes go to Leslie Rausch whenever she is on the stage. She was poetry as the British Princiess in Act III. She turns into an angel whenever she dances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):