This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alina Cojocaru

Thank you so much. I've never had the pleasure of seeing her live, but some videos are positively heart melting with her combination of beauty, technique, musicality and the blend of it all. I wish she'd guest with ABT again. I didn't get the opportunity to see her when she did.

:wink: Thank you for the link to Alina's Site, it is very interesting and with a nice personal touch. I like her very much both as an excellent Dancer, but also she seems to be a very sweet person. I must add one of her performances to my "want to see list"

Alina Cojocaru's interview is the cover story of the September 2009 issue of Dancing Times, in which she discusses injuries, partnerships, and her current approach to roles. Here's a tidbit from it:

Are we seeing a wiser and more realistic ballerina now?

AC: Absolutely, but for different reasons than you think. There will not be less work, but I will be wiser in my choice of repetoire as well as in my partners!

1 hour ago, kbarber said:

Johan Kobborg has just staged Don Quixote for the Yacobson Ballet in St Petersburg

Having never seen Yakobson Ballet would have liked to see this but didn't know. Now they are on tour to Japan France and Italy till the end of March. Had seen some Eifman stagings on Mezzo but never Yakobson.

Have never seen Alina live as Giselle and would go the extra mile to see her if/when she would appear. Please do post it if you notice it coming up anywhere in Europe.

Edited by mnacenani

I’ve seen her perform Giselle several times since her beginnings in London about fifteen years ago. Always fine, always improving, by the time I saw it last in St. Petersburg a few years ago it had become something quite wonderful. I’ve never seen it done better including remarkable performances by Svetlana Zakharova and Yekaterina Osmolkina.

Edited by Buddy
3 hours ago, Buddy said:

I’ve seen her perform Giselle several times since her beginnings in London about fifteen years ago. Always fine, always improving, by the time I saw it last in St. Petersburg a few years ago it had become something quite wonderful. I’ve never seen it done better including remarkable performances by Svetlana Zakharova and Yekaterina Osmolkina.

Seeing Cojocaru do Giselle in NYC with David Hallberg, several years ago,  was one of the hight points of my ballet going. I will never forget it.

12 hours ago, Buddy said:

I’ve never seen it done better including remarkable performances by Svetlana Zakharova and Yekaterina Osmolkina.

My reference video for Giselle is the ROH 2006 Cojocaru-Kobborg performance issued by Opus Arte. I think Kobborg was also great in this.

5 hours ago, nysusan said:

So glad to hear that she's returned to ENB and that after all the injuries, the maternity leave (and at her age) her Aurora still gets raves. There are lots of reviews of ENB's Beauty at the Coliseum, here's a link to one of them.

https://www.theartsdesk.com/dance/sleeping-beauty-london-coliseum-review-triumph-english-national-ballet

I saw Cojocaru dance Aurora this evening (her second performance during this ENB run) and her Aurora deserves the raves ... and more.

17 hours ago, Drew said:

I saw Cojocaru dance Aurora this evening (her second performance during this ENB run) and her Aurora deserves the raves ... and more.

Of course, I forgot that you were going to London this summer. How wonderful that you were able to see Cojocaru's Aurora. I only saw her dance it live once - well, twice actually but on the same tour when the RB brought their SB to the Kennedy Center. That must have been 10 -12 years ago, but its still the gold standard by which I judge all other Auroras - and find them wanting. So glad to know that she is still amazing in the role.