39 replies to this topic

#16 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:48 AM

indeed there was some confusion and substitution in the program.
Only the YAPG competitors for this year were duly announced.
The past YAPG etc. winners in the 'gala' part were not, so one had to know, and compare against the program what was and what was not what.
as noted, Bouder didn't appear (she was replaced as noted above in LE GRAND PAS DE QUATRE); Mearns was replaced by Ringer; TARANTELLA sheduled for Murphy & Phillips became the Pas d'esclave (for Gulnare and Lankedem) from LE CORSAIRE for Lane and Phillips and yes the dancer who did Conrad in the Medora (Tereshkina), Ali (Schklyarov) trio was Zachary Catazaro.

#17 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:38 AM

Anyone know who the winners are??

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

I had a great time at the YAGP gala. Tereshkina and Shklyrov (spell?) had an off night. I did notice that Tereshkina came off point, as noted above. Moreover, she seemed to have little control over her turns. They traveled all over the place towards the end of her variation. Ali the Slave was okay, but not thrilling. For me one highlight was seeing Kondourova. I wish they had given her more to do. By the way, Irina Dvorovenko has dyed her hair a copper reddish color, unless that was the stage lighting that created that effect. I enjoyed the City Ballet performers doing excerpts from Who Cares. It was nice to see someone other than Nilas Martins do The Man I Love duet w. Ringer. Hee Seo made an impressive debut as Juliet with Cory Stearns as her Romeo. I also enjoyed Sarah Lane w. Joe Phillips in an excerpt from Corsaire. Danny Tidwell is squandering his vast talents on junk, if last night's performance was any indication of what he has been doing lately, in my opinion. Marcelo's little solo dance was fun, sexy and extremely well danced. Poor Z. Catazaro of City Ballet had a terrible night, as noted above. I think any one of us Ballet Talkers could have done a better job running the house last night than the City Center staff. Totally inept.

#19 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

Danny Tidwell is squandering his vast talents on junk, if last night's performance was any indication of what he has been doing lately, in my opinion. Marcelo's little solo dance was fun, sexy and extremely well danced.

As much as I love Danny I'm afraid I have to agree. The best I can say about him and his partner is that they looked like they were having fun. I wasn't. I was very surprised to see Marcelo scheduled to dance a Bob Fosse broadway solo. I'm sure it's never been danced quite that way before and while Fosse experts might take issue with some style elements I thought it was very entertaining. To me that was a great example of a classically trained dancer translating his skills to a different style and perhaps moving out of his comfort zone to try something different that still provided an appropriate platform for his skills and talent.

#20 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Danny Tidwell is squandering his vast talents on junk, if last night's performance was any indication of what he has been doing lately, in my opinion. Marcelo's little solo dance was fun, sexy and extremely well danced.

As much as I love Danny I'm afraid I have to agree. The best I can say about him and his partner is that they looked like they were having fun. I wasn't. I was very surprised to see Marcelo scheduled to dance a Bob Fosse broadway solo. I'm sure it's never been danced quite that way before and while Fosse experts might take issue with some style elements I thought it was very entertaining. To me that was a great example of a classically trained dancer translating his skills to a different style and perhaps moving out of his comfort zone to try something different that still provided an appropriate platform for his skills and talent.

Nysusan, How was Hee and Cory in the R and J PDD? Thanks.

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for all of the reports. It killed me to miss the gala this year. grrr...

So Tereshkina and Gomes were both there, after all? So perhaps the 'Manon pdd' may materialize at tonight's Peter the Great Gala, maybe? If so - hoorah!

#22 Krystin

Krystin

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

I think it's so cool that Angelina Zuccarini came to NY for this performance. I danced with her at ABT's summer intensive years ago, and she was incredible even then!

#23 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

So Tereshkina and Gomes were both there, after all? So perhaps the 'Manon pdd' may materialize at tonight's Peter the Great Gala, maybe? If so - hoorah!

Natalia: The program last night also included a listing of the ballets to be performed at the Peter The Great gala tonight. The Tereshkina/Gomes Manon pdd is listed in the booklet. Hopefully it will be performed. I'll be going tonight.

#24 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Did anyone else find Danny Tidwell almost unrecognizable? With the chubby cheeks and the double chin & who knows what hiding under the floaty shirt, he was no longer the beautiful Spectre of three years ago.

Sad.

#25 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

Did anyone else find Danny Tidwell almost unrecognizable? With the chubby cheeks and the double chin & who knows what hiding under the floaty shirt, he was no longer the beautiful Spectre of three years ago.

Sad.

I noticed the considerable weight gain too. I had to look really hard to make sure it was really Danny because he looked completely different from his days at ABT.

#26 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Just came back from Peter the Great Gala. Overall - waaaay below expectations, but had some very nice moments. Major highlights - Herman Cornejo in Le Corsaire pas de trois; Saveliev's Gopak; Tereshkina and Shklyarov in Don Quixote pdd. My beloved Kandaurova was stuck in Ratmansky's utterly inept choreography that even she could not save. Malakhov and Tsiskaridze - their usual pathetic selves. Tereshkina and Gomes not very impressive in the bordering on softcore Manon pdd (maybe I was just expecting too much). A couple of very funny comic numbers. Stunning In the Middle Somewhat Elevated from Alicia Amatriain. Terribly boring Raymonda pdd with Kochetkova slipping and falling off the pointe. Pestov's appearance at the end was a very nice surprise that helped end the evening on a rather positive note.

#27 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

..... Jose Coreno in Le Corsaire pas de trois (what a loss he is to ABT) .....

What do you mean?? Have I missed an announcement?? :wub:

#28 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

..... Jose Coreno in Le Corsaire pas de trois (what a loss he is to ABT) .....

What do you mean?? Have I missed an announcement?? :wub:

I think he means Herman Cornejo--and as far as i know he is not leaving ABT.

#29 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

I think he means Herman Cornejo--and as far as i know he is not leaving ABT.

Sorry, my bad :wub:

#30 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

Jose Manuel Carreno was not announced (nor did he appear) for anything in either gala. Joseph Gatti was announced and appeared with Cornejo and Adiarys Almeida in the Corsaire pdt.

Carreno has four dates for ABT's upcoming Met season: Giselle 6/12/2009; Le Corsaire 5/27/2009, 5/30/2009; and Herbie Hancock 5/18/2009 -- not nearly enough to keep me happy, but I guess that's life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):