This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Anna Pavlova Biography

Welcome to Ballet Talk, dancewonder, and please introduce yourself in the Welcome forum! :dunno: And thanks for the recommendation. Here's what Library School Journey has to say about the book:

Grade 6-9?This well-written biography will appeal to many readers, especially those interested in dance and history. Levine chronicles Pavlova's childhood, training, and artistic achievements, and includes many autobiographical accounts from her diary as well as quotes from her contemporaries. With its snippets of dialogue and interpretations of the subject's thoughts and feelings, the book reads like a novel. It also paints a vivid picture of the life of a dancer in the Soviet Union during the late 1800s and early 1900s. A selection of well-reproduced black-and-white photographs appears in the center of the book, and a helpful glossary of ballet terms is appended.
Welcome to Ballet Talk, dancewonder, and please introduce yourself in the Welcome forum! :) And thanks for the recommendation. Here's what Library School Journey has to say about the book:
Grade 6-9?This well-written biography will appeal to many readers, especially those interested in dance and history. Levine chronicles Pavlova's childhood, training, and artistic achievements, and includes many autobiographical accounts from her diary as well as quotes from her contemporaries. With its snippets of dialogue and interpretations of the subject's thoughts and feelings, the book reads like a novel. It also paints a vivid picture of the life of a dancer in the Soviet Union during the late 1800s and early 1900s. A selection of well-reproduced black-and-white photographs appears in the center of the book, and a helpful glossary of ballet terms is appended.

I haven't heard of this one....must look it out.....although I still think Keith Money's biography of Pavlova is the definitive work.

Thanks, dancewonder, for bringing this up. It's good to know that books like this continue to be published in the United States.

When I was young, you could still hear people describing an exceptional ballerina as "a Pavlova," especially if she had anything having to do with Swans. The allusion really meant something to many members of the general public, not just the ballet crowd.

I wonder whether this is still the case today.