• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

At the Corella Ballet Web site, I see they've listed City Center performances for March 15-21, 2010.

#2 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

Wow! The City Center website doesn't have this yet. Nor does Corella give information about the planned program. This is definitely a story to follow.

#3 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Guess I'd better book my travel now!

m2

#4 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

I wonder if Corella will invite the Mariinsky's Evgenia Obraztsova as a guest? (ha-ha) Seriously - after last Sunday's display at the Mariinsky, I am not interested in Corella. I should be over my 'hissy fit' by the time that the City Center season rolls around, though. :unsure:

#5 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:08 AM

I am not interested in Corella. Good riddance, in my book.

What an extraordinary thing to say! Angel Corella has just created the first large scale classical ballet company Spain has ever had, a wonderful achievement when so many European companies are going to the wall and all you can do is whinge because he dropped your favourite dancer! Show me a male dancer who hasn't dropped his partner at some time. For the ladies of the ballet it’s an occupational hazard.

#6 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

This will be a remarkable way of introducing Spain's new classical ballet company to the United States.

Corella has more than earned the love and loyalty of American ballet audiences. Now we have the chance to see what he and his artists have been able to achieve for Spanish ballet in such a short time.

I hope this will be a MAJOR cultural event for New York City and for the future of ballet both here and in Spain.

4mrdncr, will you be there? And, wouldn't it be great if CarolinaM and others from fotoescena can make it as well? Who else is planning on attending?

Here's the company website (English version):
http://www.angelcore.../compania2.html

And here's a review (with plenty of photos) of one of their recent productions.
http://www.fotoescen...rellaBCNae.html

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

Wow! The City Center website doesn't have this yet. Nor does Corella give information about the planned program. This is definitely a story to follow.

I wouldn't expect it to show on City Center's website before September.

#8 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

This will be a remarkable way of introducing Spain's new classical ballet company to the United States.

Corella has more than earned the love and loyalty of American ballet audiences. Now we have the chance to see what he and his artists have been able to achieve for Spanish ballet in such a short time.

I hope this will be a MAJOR cultural event for New York City and for the future of ballet both here and in Spain.

4mrdncr, will you be there? And, wouldn't it be great if CarolinaM and others from fotoescena can make it as well? Who else is planning on attending?

Here's the company website (English version):
http://www.angelcore.../compania2.html

And here's a review (with plenty of photos) of one of their recent productions.
http://www.fotoescen...rellaBCNae.html

Sorry, folks, I've known about this for 3 months, though couldn't say anything until CB posted it, which they did last month on their calendar page. Anyways, if I'm not there, I hope my film is.

#9 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

Anyways, if I'm not there, I hope my film is.

Yes! I hope some distributor realizes that pairing the first U.S. visit by AC's company and an extended run of the AC/Company documentary would make for great box office. :wallbash:

#10 Pointe1432

Pointe1432

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

I can't wait to see some of our American dancers return from over the pond!

I'd love to see Ashley Ellis dance again!

#11 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:55 AM

I'd love to see Ashley Ellis dance again!

I also love to see Ashley Ellis dance!! She is so great at Clear!! She is my preferred one on this choreography!

:thumbsup:

#12 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

Great minds think alike Carolina. From "Celaje" to "Bruch..." to "Clear", Ashley Ellis gets better and better. She is a beautiful dancer to watch and film, whether in class, rehearsal, or performance.

I hope those of you who follow this thread also know that 5 Corella Ballet dancers (M.Golding, N.Tapia, J.Gatti, A.Almeida, and H. Cornejo) are scheduled to appear in New York at the YAGP next week. I'll be there (physically at least; mentally, the headaches are so painful, I don't want to think about it.)

#13 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

A release regarding the company's CC engagement:

CORELLA BALLET CASTILLA Y LEÓN

MAKES U.S. DEBUT

AT NEW YORK CITY CENTER

Season includes U.S. Premiere by Angel Corella

With Angel Corella, Herman Cornejo, Iain Mackay,
Adiarys Almeida, Carmen Corella, Natalia Tapia,
Kazuko Omori and Joseph Gatti

March 17 – 20, 2010

New York, NY, July 23, 2009 – Choreographer Angel Corella has announced the U.S. debut of Corella Ballet Castilla y León, March 17 - 20 at New York City Center. The engagement will feature the U.S. premier of String Sextet, Mr. Corella’s first choreography, performed to music by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky. The four-performance engagement will feature three other pieces to be announced.

Corella Ballet features acclaimed dancers from around the world, including Principal Dancers: Herman Cornejo, Iain Mackay, Adiarys Almeida, Carmen Corella and Natalia Tapia; First Soloists: Kazuko Omori and Joseph Gatti and Soloists: Ashley Ellis, Mª José Sales, Cristina Casa, Kirill Radev, Fernando Bufalá and Yevgen Uzlenkov. Mr. Corella is also a Principal Dancer.

Corella Ballet Castilla y León was founded in April 2008 at the Royal Palace of La Granja in Segovia-Spain. Corella Ballet, under Angel Corella’s artistic direction, is currently the only classical ballet company in Spain. The company consists of 60 dancers from 12 countries: Spain, Cuba, United States, United Kingdom, Italy, Canada, Ireland, Japan, Lithuania, Russia, Portugal, Argentina, the Republic of Georgia and Kazajstán. Corella Ballet Foundation projects include the creation of a dance school which will also be the base for future Corella Ballet dancers. One of the company’s missions is to provide a professional career for classical dancers in Spain, so that Spanish born dancers do not have to leave the country to further their careers, as Corella and many others have done. Corella Ballet’s wide repertoire incorporates classical, neoclassical and contemporary choreography.

Corella Ballet will play for four performances, at New York City Center, 55th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues, according to the following schedule March 17 at 7:30, March 19 at 8 pm and March 20 at 2 & 8 pm. Tickets range from $25 - $75 (on sale at City Center on September 8, 2009) and can be purchased by calling CityTix® at 212-581-1212, online at www.nycitycenter.org <http://www.nycitycenter.org/> or at the City Center Box Office (West 55th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues).

#14 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

At City Center in addition to CB's performance schedule there is a discussion and demonstration by Angel and some of the Company Members.

This will take place on March 15th at 6:30 PM at City Center's Studio 5 - 130 West 56th Street, 5th Floor. Tickets are $15, General Admission and will go on sale, September 8th, the same day as the tickets for CB's performances.

City Center's website and calendar has also been updated.

Here's the link to the page on the March 15 discussion/demonstration.

#15 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:44 AM

I’m so happy CB will be performing at City Center!! :D

Hope many of you here will be able to attend and will report. For you to see a bit how the company looks like:

http://dancemedia.com/v/3454

And there will also be a photo exhibition by Manuel de los Galanes with the collaboration of the Corella Ballet dancers at the City Center Hall. March, 17th - 20th.

For more info you can check the Corella Ballet web page http://www.corellaba....org/home2.html

I’m also linking two articles published in the media:

http://www.playbilla...ticle/8327.html

http://newyork.timeo...-leon-interview

I hope it’s ok, if not, of course, please feel free to move/delete them as you consider appropriate.

Enjoy our brand new company!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):