This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB season, 2009-2010

The 2009-2010 POB season has just been put online on the POB web site:

http://www.operadeparis.fr/cns11/live/onp/...P_SELECT_SEASON

So it will include 11 programs by the POB:

-8 full-length works: "Giselle", Nureyev's productions of "The Nutcracker" and "La Bayadère", Balanchine's "Jewels", Patrice Bart's "La petite danseuse de Degas", John Neumeier's "Lady of the Camellias", Jiri Kylian's "Kaguiahime"

(new in the repertory), Angelin Preljocaj's "Siddharta" (world premiere)

-3 mixed bills: one by Millepied (Amoveo, 2006), "Genus" (Wayne McGregor, 2007) and "Répliques" (world premiere by Nicolas Paul, a company dancer), one of Ballets Russes works ("Le Tricorne", "Le Spectre de la Rose", "L'Après-midi d'un faune" and "Pétrouchka") and a homage to Jerome Robbins which already had been performed this year ("En sol", "In the night", "The concert" and Millepied's "Triade").

The POB school will perform Clustine's "Suite de danses" (1913), Béjart's "Sept danses grecques" and will add John Taras' "Piège de Lumière" to its repertory.

The Béjart Ballet Lausanne will come as a guest company, with 4 works by Béjart ("Sonate à trois", "Webern opus V", "Le marteau sans maître" and "Dialogue de l'ombre double").

Well, most of those programs have been performed a lot in recent seasons, and the only new works are contemporary or modern dance.

I'm glad that the Ballets Russes repertory finally is back after many seasons...

Well, at least there is ballet :) .

Things aren't great but could have been worse, though.

I'm very disappointed Jewels are scheduled again. I like them a lot, but there are so many great pieces by Balanchine and they have been performed so many times in the last years. I was hoping the very sucessful tour of the NYCB would bring some ideas to our AD.

And to bring in Bejart's compagny which is touring France each year doesn't seem exciting.

Overall, this season seems less exciting than the current one.

Well, at least there is ballet :) .

Things aren't great but could have been worse, though.

I'm very disappointed Jewels are scheduled again. I like them a lot, but there are so many great pieces by Balanchine and they have been performed so many times in the last years. I was hoping the very sucessful tour of the NYCB would bring some ideas to our AD.

And to bring in Bejart's compagny which is touring France each year doesn't seem exciting.

Overall, this season seems less exciting than the current one.

I agree with you, cygneblanc. "Jewels" has been performed a lot in recent years, while there are a lot of Balanchine masterpieces that haven't been seen in a while (and also some pieces which would deserve to be added to the repertory).

By the way, if you have seen some POB performances recently, don't hesitate to post some comments or reviews about it ! :thanks: I promise not to show too much that I'm green with envy (I haven't attended anything since the NYCB performances last fall, and might not attend anything this season :-( )

Apart from the NYCB and the competition, I' haven't seen too many performances: the Robbins' mixed bill, Raymonda twice, National Ballet of China's rendition of Sylvia, the school's demonstrations, and Mahler's third symphony. Next stops are the young dancers night and the school spring show before Oneguine in May.

I promise I'll try to write something about the past or present performamances of these season if I can find time.

I definitively will review of Manuel Legris' farewell performance on May 15. It seems he'll finally dance with Clairemarie Osta rather than with Laetitia Pujol.

Apart from the NYCB and the competition, I' haven't seen too many performances: the Robbins' mixed bill, Raymonda twice, National Ballet of China's rendition of Sylvia, the school's demonstrations, and Mahler's third symphony. Next stops are the young dancers night and the school spring show before Oneguine in May.

I promise I'll try to write something about the past or present performamances of these season if I can find time.

I definitively will review of Manuel Legris' farewell performance on May 15. He seems he'll finally dance with Clairemarie Osta rather than with Laetitia Pujol.

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews :-)

Lucky you to be able to see Legris's farewell performance (I wish I could have gone there, but read about it too late and the tickets were sold out :-( )

It's nice to see that Legris' website has the following comment -- in English -- regarding the meaning of "farewell"

During these performances, one evening will be held on the 15 of May

for the official Farewell of Manuel Legris as Etoile of Paris Opera.

I have to notice that it will be absolutly a non definitive farewell

as a performer, and i will continue to perform as a guest.

:flowers: