This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake

Hi, I'm rather new to ballet and I wish to attend one of a performance of swam lake at the royal oper ahouse. However, I am unsure of which night to go. Perhaps you guys can help me choose?

As Odette/Odile and Prince Siegfried, there are different castings for the three nights I'm considering:

Ekaterina Osmolkina and Ivan Putrov

Marianela Nuñez and Thiago Soares

Lauren Cuthbertson and Rupert Pennefather?

Cheers!

Hi, I'm rather new to ballet and I wish to attend one of a performance of swam lake at the royal oper ahouse. However, I am unsure of which night to go. Perhaps you guys can help me choose?

As Odette/Odile and Prince Siegfried, there are different castings for the three nights I'm considering:

Cheers!

My pick would be Nunez/Soares.

You'll hear different picks for different reasons. I've not seen any of these women's Odettes, but I've seen them do other things.

Nunez is a strong, warm dancer. Her Aurora is radiant.

Osmolkina is a guest star from the Maryinsky (Kirov) in St. Petersburg, so has beautiful Russian style.

Cuthbertson is the newest principal, and the company's up-and-coming "English" ballerina. Her partner, Pennefather is her male equivalent, their new English danseur noble.

There are reasons to see any of them. If you're new to ballet and not yet splitting hairs, I'd just go on the night that has the best ticket availability and suits your schedule.

And report back, please!

Cheers!

I am going to both of the Osmolkina performances because a Kirov guest is a rare occurence with the Royal Ballet.

I saw Marianela Nunez as Odette/Odile at the end of October last year and I would certainly be very happy to see her again which is not something I am often able to say.

I agree with Leigh. There are so many "pros" for each of the pairs. You can't go wrong with any of them, and each will have high points unique to them.

Agreed, but it's worth noting what Debra Craine wrote in the London Times on the last occasion that Lauren Cuthbertson and Rupert Pennefather danced these roles (a schools' performance earlier in the month)

"Rarely have I seen two dancers take charge of a Swan Lake that resonates with such beauty and dramatic viability. " Here's the link to her five star review:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle5833346.ece