This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Natasha Richardson, R.I.P.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

Very grim report about Natasha Richardson, critically injured after a skiing accident.

Richardson was on a beginner's slope and reportedly not wearing a helmet when she fell - although headgear is not required.

"She did not show any visible sign of injury but the ski patrol followed strict procedures and brought her back to the bottom of the slope and insisted she should see a doctor," said a statement from the resort, which is almost 80 miles northwest of Montreal.

#2 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

The news is worse now. Beautiful actress, with that wonderful Redgrave voice.

A lesson to be taken to heart: if you suffer any head injury, no matter how you feel, go to a doctor right away.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

Apparently there was no collision as she fell. I’m sure if there had been they would have made her go to the doctor forthwith even if she said she felt fine. We don't have all the details, but sometimes accidents just happen.

#4 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

dirac, true. My office has done several series on concussions, including one recently. There are many examples in those stories where people had what appeared to be mild head injuries, the type one would shrug off, but then complications set in. If it makes people pause and consider checking it out, I don't think that's wrong.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

Of course, Dale. My point was that in this instance apparently nobody thought her head could be harmed. Just goes to show how fragile our brain's protection is.

#6 TutuMaker

TutuMaker

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

At this point there are conflicting reports as to what her status is. I would hope that no one jumps to conclusions!
Conflicting News

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

AP's report, filed a bit after 4:00 pm this afternoon, does not provide -- or contradict -- the dire information reported in the habitually sensationalist Post.

http://news.yahoo.co...asha_richardson

Perhaps there's room to hope?

#8 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

I've seen her many times on stage- most recently at a benefit for the Roundabout Theater in Sondheim's "A Little Night Music". Her mother, Vanessa Redgrave, was also in the performance. She was a wonderful stage actress. Perhaps it's time to require that skiing aficianados wear protective head gear.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

I've seen her many times on stage- most recently at a benefit for the Roundabout Theater in Sondheim's "A Little Night Music". Her mother, Vanessa Redgrave, was also in the performance. She was a wonderful stage actress. Perhaps it's time to require that skiing aficianados wear protective head gear.

I'm sure they'll be wearing helmets on the beginners' slope henceforward.

I never had the chance to see her on stage, unfortunately. She's a very talented film actress although after a promising start her career didn't really take off as it might have.

The Post article seemed reasonably sourced and as carbro notes the AP article doesn’t contradict it. I expect confirmation from the family will appear in due course although I hope I’m wrong.

#10 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

I'm sure they'll be wearing helmets on the beginners' slope henceforward.

The beginners' slopes are generally not where the most traumatic injuries occur. Skiers at that level go very slowly, not much velocity, and the falls tend to be gentle and to the seat. Such injuries that do occur are generally twists and sprains of the extremities. It's the expert skiiers -- and snowboarders -- who go fast and at the edge of control who are really at risk for traumatic injury.

Head injuries can occur anywhere, under the most innocuous of circumstances. I once turned around while walking along the street and, don't know how, hit my head on a lamppost hard enough to cause dizziness.

#11 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:29 AM

I have always had a special fondness for her and her husband after seeing them in a magical performance of 'Anna Christie'. All I can do is pray for them and so I do.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

The NY Post, quite reliable so far, reports that the family has taken Ms. Richardson off life support.

She was eventually taken to Montreal's Hopital du Sacre-Coeur, where the family was told Richardson had no hope of regaining any brain function, friends said.

Loved ones didn't want Richardson to die in a foreign hospital, so they whisked her back to New York yesterday where she was greeted by family from both sides of the Atlantic.

#13 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

CNN just reported that Natasha Richardson passed away earlier today as a result of her head injury. My prayers go out to her entire family. This is so tragic.

I'll never forget the first time I saw her in an episode of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" starring the great Jeremy Brett in 1985. Natasha Richardson must have been about only about 21 years old at the time and her performance was superb. I knew I was watching a great actress in the making. RIP Natasha.

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

Thank you for the unhappy update, MakarovaFan. Obituary here.

In 1985, a week before he died, Sir Michael, enfeebled by Parkinson’s disease, went to see Ms. Richardson as Ophelia in a production of “Hamlet.” Turning to his daughter Vanessa, Ms. Richardson’s mother, he uttered a brief review. “She’s a true actress,” he said.

I first saw her in "Patty Hearst" and "Fat Man and Little Boy" - she made a striking impression in both. As the obit notes, she made her film debut at age four in "The Charge of the Light Brigade." I remember her in it - there's a charmingly gratuitous shot of a little blond girl, obviously worked in by a doting papa. Rest in peace.

Some of you New Yorkers must have seen her on the stage. Please share any recollections.

#15 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

I waited over four hours for standby tickets to see Ms. Richardson in the revival of "Cabaret" when it was still at the tiny Henry Miller theatre. Her luminous performance and graciousness to the theatre students to the theatre students who were waiting for her made it a very worthwhile expedition.

My heart goes out to the family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):