This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gala performance - Gothenburg Opera

At last, something to report from Gothenburg Sweden. End of August there will be an international ballet gala with:

Gillian Murphy - David Hallberg - Daniil Simkin :devil: and Sarah Lane.

So far so good, I am looking forward to that. Question is just how much time these eminent people will be given.

Also participating in the gala evening will be Netherlands Dance Theater, Cullberg Ballet, Bounce (a very good Sw. street dance company), and Twisted feet.

Unfortunately there will be a compere for the evening who as far as I know hasnt got a clue about ballet. Well, if it gets too tedious one could always repair to the opera bar.

But I will certainly fork out cash to see Murphy and Hallberg and of course Simkin.

Yes, Helene, the new opera house by the water, isnt it glorious!

I understand that you had little time when you visited for the Ice Championships, yet, it was a pity that you couldnt avail yourself of the half hour conducted tour of the house which they have some afternoons. The restaurant is lovely too with its panorama windows overlooking the harbour.

As much as I think the new opera is beautiful I still have sentimental feelings for the old one. Dont know if you noticed that, a white building dating from about 1850 at the very beginning of "The Avenue". That is where I took my first steps in ballet and made my debut in Marriage of Figaro. But, to be truthful, the interior (for the artists) was still very much 1850 - two showers for the entire crew! It was really awful working conditions, but at the same time I would be the first one to resist a demolition.

Hope you can visit again soon and enjoy an opera (ballet is almost exclusively modern).

What is really remarkable about the building is that it blends into the waterfront as if it's a working ship.

In our mini-tour of Gothenburg our guide, a native of the city, did point out the old Opera House, but didn't say what it is being used for now.

I always have the best intentions when attending figure skating events. I didn't take the tour because I was so sure I'd be there for the Saturday night "Macbeth", but it started at 6pm, and had I left right after the Men's Free Skate, it would have been cutting it close if everything went perfectly. After Jeff Buttle won the gold, I couldn't pry myself away from the medal ceremony.

But I will be back!

Thanks, Bart, for that photo! Isnt it rather fantastic! But I must add that approaching the building in winter isnt funny at all. The wind coming in from the sea is usually fairly strong and it is bitterly cold so one has to wrap up well.

About the old opera house, it is still being used. It is owned by the municipality and can be rented so there are still performances there, ranging from revues to magician's shows to pop concerts to conventions and conferences and all sorts of things. Well, never mind, as long as the building is still there in all its white stucco. When passing it I always look up at the windows of the ballet class room and remember...

[Pamela Moberg' date=Mar 16 2009, 06:23 PM' post='244267]

At last, something to report from Gothenburg Sweden. End of August there will be an international ballet gala with:

Gillian Murphy - David Hallberg - Daniil Simkin and Sarah Lane.

Anybody attend the performance yesterday?