• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

David Amzallag has added a set of photographs taken backstage during the Balanchine programme to his series of portraits of the RDB. He's concentrated particularly on some of the younger members of the corps de ballet, including several who joined the company only this season, including Holly Jean Dorger, Shelbye Elsbree and Laure Dougy. (Some better-known dancers and a fine portrait of Nikolaj Hubbe are also included.)

There's also a collection of pictures of Femke Molbach Slot and Ulrik Birkkjaer in Neumeier's Romeo and Juliet, added in the last month. I wish more companies could be so well documented.

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

I began watching NYCB in the 80s, so I also think of Judith Fugate as an archetypical First Movement ballerina (her progeny in the role includes Jenifer Ringer). Boiling it down to a single adjective, it usually goes to an elegant dancer. Miranda Weese was very fine in the role as well; it suited her witty authority.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):