This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kudelka/4 Seasons

Just over a week ago I was visiting NYC and while channel surfing in my hotel room tuned to the BRAVO network. It was my good fortune to come in on a ballet broadcast that was already in progress to Vivaldi's 4 Seasons. It was a very interesting ballet that was excellently produced and wonderfully danced. I was particulary impressed with the concept of the work, the imaginative but unobtrusive video effects, and the first successful use of "over 40" dancers integrated into the overall choreography. I had to wait until the end of the work to view the credits. I found out it was National Ballet of Canada and the director/choreographer was James Kuldelka. It was the first work I've seen by the celebrated Canadian choreographer and I was impressed in many ways. Did anyone else see this performance and enjoy it as much as I did?

Rick McCullough

yes, I've seen it performed live ( different cast) and the CBC brodcast you saw. It's actually nominated for several Gemini awards ( Canadian telivision awards), you can read about it on their website: www.ballet.ca

Rex Harrington is great in the role, and I liked how Kudelka used the older principals ( character artists) in winter. But the summer pdd is to me, the highlight! They did some neat things with special effects too, but I think it's great to watch live.