This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vikharev's Reconstruction of the 1894 Petipa/Cecchetti

I understand Vikharev's reconsturction has played at other theatres, but this week is the premier of it at the Bolshoi. Anyone here have any plans to go? It's exciting that the Bolshoi is getting these productions though a bit ironic now that the Mariinsky seems to have lost interest in them (much to my upset). (Although I have to admit I've never placed Coppelia in the top tier of ballets for me--I love the music and love the ecomedy in it but... But maybe this will get a DVD release and I can see how the Russians did it)

The Bolshoi's English Official page has a great little piece about the ballet with a nice photograph of the model of Act III http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/season/press-offi...x.php?id26=1164

I understand Vikharev's reconsturction has played at other theatres, but this week is the premier of it at the Bolshoi. Anyone here have any plans to go? It's exciting that the Bolshoi is getting these productions though a bit ironic now that the Mariinsky seems to have lost interest in them (much to my upset). (Although I have to admit I've never placed Coppelia in the top tier of ballets for me--I love the music and love the ecomedy in it but... But maybe this will get a DVD release and I can see how the Russians did it)

The Bolshoi's English Official page has a great little piece about the ballet with a nice photograph of the model of Act III http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/season/press-offi...x.php?id26=1164

Sergei Vikharev's first reconstruction of "Coppelia" was given by the Novosibirsk Ballet in 2001. He also staged a small section for the Vaganova Academy and it was then thought a Mariinsky Ballet production might follow. It didn't.

If the Mariinsky truly does drop their three Petipa/Vikharev productions is there any chance they'd transfer to the Bolshoi? I suppose it's more complicated than that--I know the Mariinsky holds tight to their music sources, etc, and doesn't often lease them out--and I also know that the Bolshoi currently seems to consider their Grigorovich versions of the big classics (ie Sleepign Beauty) as sacred as some at the Mariinsky feel about Sergeyev's.