This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Ballet in London August 2009

The intervals seemed endless, and there were too many front of stage bows (not warranted or demanded by the audience either) during the performance.
Russian custom. They seem to have learned that what is seen at home as a gracious acknowledgment to the audience is seen in New York as vulgar applause milking and have stopped doing it on their visits here. I'm surprised to hear that they still do it in London, but perhaps the London audience is more patient than New York's. I assume the Londoners are more polite.
The intervals seemed endless, and there were too many front of stage bows (not warranted or demanded by the audience either) during the performance.
Russian custom. They seem to have learned that what is seen at home as a gracious acknowledgment to the audience is seen in New York as vulgar applause milking and have stopped doing it on their visits here. I'm surprised to hear that they still do it in London, but perhaps the London audience is more patient than New York's. I assume the Londoners are more polite.

It has been a tradition in Russia and in London I think almost always they have taken bows. I think it breaks the continuity of the portrayals. I personally am out of my seat and up to the Floral Hall as soon as the curtain goes down.