76 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Yes, she did, canbelto. Pavlenko is still working her way back to the prima roles, following her long maternity leave. She is finding her way back to the stage through smaller-but-important roles, such as Street Dancer in Don Q.

#17 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:34 AM

Yes, she did, canbelto. Pavlenko is still working her way back to the prima roles, following her long maternity leave. She is finding her way back to the stage through smaller-but-important roles, such as Street Dancer in Don Q.

On the 28th April Daria Pavlenko is dancing Maria in The Fountains of Bakhchiserai at the Maryinskii Theatre

#18 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:52 AM

[A] Japanese reporter with whom I met last month in St. Petersburg [ ... ] told me that Somova is a "big favorite with Japanese businessmen. She is very beautiful." [The reporter is a man.] So maybe the businessmen -- not traditional, knowledgeable fans -- will fill the hall? Like I wrote earlier, it is all in the eye of the beholder.

:unsure: :beg:

Helene, I agree entirely about liking dancers who look like there "is a brain ticking." These dancers move from the inside, always seeming in charge of their own movement (unless the choreography demands otherwise). You can imagine that there are choices being made.

My impression from watching Somova on video is that there is something marionette-like in her use of limbs and torso. Forces from the OUTSIDE are pulling things out of line -- manipulating her into the positions that have become her trademark. The effect is strangely passive, even weak. This might be especially appealing to someone like Natalia's Japanese businessman, looking forward to unwinding at the end of a long day toiling in a what is still, essentially, a man's world.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:05 AM

The Official Salaryman's Ballerina! :unsure:

#20 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

The Official Salaryman's Ballerina! :unsure:

Somova reminds me of Russian girls who work in bars in Roppongi, Tokyo where Japanese businessmen go after their work. Actually there are quite many of those girls who looks like her.

And I don't know what company is going to sponsor the Mariinsky Japan tour but at the Bolshoi tour, a securities company was the official sponsorso there were many businessmen who were invited as a result of that.

#21 robert

robert

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

hi i plan to go to the kirov swan lake at the roh in august. which would be the best performance to go to?? ie. best dancers. thanks for any help. robert

#22 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Welcome to BalletTalk, robert.

My uncontested choice would be Tereshkina, but I have never seen Kolegova, have no idea what she's like. To me, Tereshkina is very present in the moment, unlike Lopatkina, who gives the impression of a single interpretation that, down to the last eyelash, does not vary from performance to performance. Lopatkina is fascinating in that regard, definitely worth seeing, but I miss the "aliveness" that Tereshkina brings and makes my experience more satisfying.

I hope that, after you've seen the Swan Lake, you'll let us know whether, cumulatively, we've given you good advice. :wink: Meanwhile, I invite you to introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum.

#23 robert

robert

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

many thanks for your suggestion. strangely i had seen both tereshkina and Ivanchenko on youtube recently and thought them both wonderful. i do love russian ballet and the kirov/mariinsky and bolshoi are in my opinion the best companies in the world. i recently went to moscow to see the bolshoi and was amazed at the standard of everyone on the stage.

#24 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

[I see that R&J will be danced once between now and the end of May at the Mariinsky, with no casting yet announced - on May 20. Maybe that will be it? But to announce her as leading the London season in a ballet she's never danced?]

No, the performance on the 20th will be Irina Golub with Igor Kolb.

http://www.mariinsky...09/5/20/1_1900/

#25 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

On the 28th April Daria Pavlenko is dancing Maria in The Fountains of Bakhchiserai at the Maryinskii Theatre

Daria Vaznetsova replaced Pavlenko as Maria in that performance. Dasha Pavlenko will bourree between knives again as Street Dancer on May 16 (so far). Tatiana Tkachenko will be Kitri - ( :( for this casting decision )! She deserves more opportunities to dance leading roles in her home theatre, and not at the Hermitage & Palace Theatres, (venues of the Hermitage Ballet).

QUOTE (Natalia @ Apr 16 2009, 05:00 PM)
[I see that R&J will be danced once between now and the end of May at the Mariinsky, with no casting yet announced - on May 20. Maybe that will be it? But to announce her as leading the London season in a ballet she's never danced?]

No, the performance on the 20th will be Irina Golub with Igor Kolb.

Golub as Juliet opposite Kolb is wonderful news! This is another tremendous opportunity for her! A word of caution: As with everything, nothing is etched in stone; casting is subject to change (and unannounced casting also), right up until curtain. There's one "R & J" performance scheduled in June: June 6. If there are no more "R & Js" performed during the White Nights Festival in July, it's high probability that this will be Somova's D-Day. "D" is for "debut". On the other hand, if June 6 isn't the date, Covent Garden will be graced with her debut as Juliet on opening night. That will be a double-dip of firsts for her: A Covent Garden opening night, and first Juliet. If that's their plan, to field her as Juliet - sight unseen and without a test drive, in a Covent Garden opening night, one must question the "logic" behind it.

#26 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

.....There's one "R & J" performance scheduled in June: June 6. If there are no more "R & Js" performed during the White Nights Festival in July, it's high probability, that this will be Somova's D-Day. ....

June 6 will be the very last R&J back home before the London tour, as the Mariinsky website now lists all performances between now and July 31. So either "Ms X" debuts on June 6 or she may be debuting in London, at the start of the tour.

Admirers of Vikharev's reconstructions can take heart that Flora's Awakening will reawaken on June 11. (However, Londoners will still see the 1952 Soviet Beauty, sorry to report.)

p.s. I transfered most of the 'summer happenings news' to a new thread.

#27 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:13 AM

Casting has been revised for the London tour -- the revised casts I've put in bold.

Romeo and Juliet:
http://www.roh.org.u...n.aspx?pid=9642

August 3
Juliet : Somova
Romeo : Shklyarov

August 4
Juliet : Osmolkina
Romeo : Ivanchenko

August 5
Juliette: Tereshkina
Romeo: Matvienko

Auguset 6
Juliet: Obraztsova
Romeo: Kolb

Swan Lake
http://www.roh.org.u...n.aspx?pid=9651

August 7
Odette/Odile: Lopatkina
Siegfried: Korsuntsev

August 8 (matinee)
Odette/Odile: Kondaurova
Siegfried: Kolb

August 8 (evening)
Odette/Odile: Tereshkina
Siegfried: Ivanchencko

August 10
Odette/Odile: Somova
Siegfried: Matvienko

August 11
Odette/Odile: Osmolkina
Siegfried Vladimir: Shklyarov

Homage to Balanchine
http://www.roh.org.u...n.aspx?pid=9667

August 12
Serenade
Kondaurova
Ivanchenko
Osmolkina
Vasnetsova
Firsov

Rubies
Somova
Shklyarov
Kondaurova

Symphony in C
Tereshkina
Matvienko
Lopatkina
Korsuntsev
Gonchar
Filip Stepin
Obraztsova
Timofeyev

August 13
Serenade
Tereshkina
Korsuntsev
Golub
Chereshkevitch
Firsov

Rubies
Golub
Matvienko

TBC

Symphony in C
Somova
Korsakov has been removed – no replacement yet
Zuzin
Kondaurova
Ivanchenko
Osmolkina
Shklyarov
Obraztsova has been removed – no replacement yet
TBC

Sleeping Beauty
http://www.roh.org.u...n.aspx?pid=9660

August 14
Princess Aurora: Obraztsova
Prince Desiré: Kolb
Lilac Fairy: Kondaurova

August 15 (matinee)
Princess Aurora: Tereshkina
Prince Desiré: Vladimir Shklyarov
Lilac Fairy: Vasnetsova

August 15 (evening)
Princess Aurora: Somova
Prince Desiré: Sarafanov
Lilac Fairy: Kondaurova

#28 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

For anyone in and around Holland, the Mariinsky will also be coming to the Carre Theatre in Amsterdam, 22nd July - 1st August. There not much info on the website, but here are the dates and programmes:

http://www.theaterca...i...161&taal=en

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:51 AM

Thanks, Rosa. Some very nice changes but still the oddity of Ms X getting the opening night Juliet although she has never danced the role and is not scheduled to dance it anywhere between now and August 3. Are the Hochhausers trying to sell Curiosity Tickets, like the side show of a circus?

#30 DeborahB

DeborahB

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:23 AM

Thanks, Rosa. Some very nice changes but still the oddity of Ms X getting the opening night Juliet although she has never danced the role and is not scheduled to dance it anywhere between now and August 3. Are the Hochhausers trying to sell Curiosity Tickets, like the side show of a circus?

Just bought a ticket for the Marinsky in London (mid-August). Seeing "Swan Lake."
I've never seen the Marinsky before (although I do see the Royal Ballet at the Opera House at least once a year. Have business in London).
I'm so excited!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):