• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#46 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Thank you Natalia! :) Vishneva, Gomes, Kuznetsov...a casting of my dreams and I missed it. What an evening it must have been. Who the heck is poor bravo man! :off topic:

Please do not misunderstand my question, I have nothing but admiration for the casting and choice of ballet but, was the house filled with tourists or would you say the educated Petersburg audience liked the perfomance? I wish I could read the Russian websites, but my language skills have deteriorated horribly. :blush:

#47 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

........Per Angel Corella's website he is to dance the DonQ pdd with Olesya Novikova......

Whaaaaaaat??? So it's three possibilities. Novikova is probably best-known among the three for her Kitri. Come to think of it, we haven't seen Novikova at all in this festival and she had been one of the most visible of dancers not-so-long-ago.

Marcelo will dance a pdd from Manon with Tereshkina.

I'll probably review when back in DC as (a) these closing galas tend to last long and (b) my flight departs at 6am!

EDITED TO ADD: Vrsfanatic, to answer your question based solely on three very nice forty-something Russian ladies in my box who stayed til the last curtain call and "waved" with me...at the lone intermission, they were remarking, "Why is he the prince? He looks more like a Hilarion and Ilya should be the prince." That prompted me to politely go "ahummmm....izvinitie (excuse me)..." which is how I found out that the old rules of emploi are alive and well here, eg, the paler and blonder guy -- also the one with longer lines, as is Ilya -- is the natural prince. All of that changed for the ladies in the box with Act2, when Marcelo won them over with his performance.

By the way, I had never seen Marcelo's Albrecht before....in A2, whenever he collapses to the ground from exhaustion, it's with a huge BOOM! I was afraid that we'd see a gaping hole on those fabled boards!!!

BravoMan is a paid clacquer, which I know for a fact when he asked me a few years back if I would pay him to "ensure a success" for Maria Kowroski's debut the next night. [Why me - he knew that I was Amerikanka?????] Ilya should distance himself from that embarrassment because he does not need him to get 'bravos' or prompt entrance-applause...he gets that on his own merits.

FURTHER EDITED: "Petyaurus'" shaky cell-phone clips are now on YouTube.

#48 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

21/3/09
Giselle
Fantastic ballet in two acts
Music Adolphe Adam
Libretto Jules Henri Vernoy de Saint-Georges, Theophile Gautier,
Jean Coralli
Choreography Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, Marius Petipa
Set Design Igor Ivanov
Costume Design Irina Press
Reconstruction Consultant Yuri Slonimsky

Giselle Diana Vishneva
Albert Marcelo Gomes
Berthe Anastasia Vasilets
Bathilde Elena Bazhenova
Hans Ilya Kuznetsov
Sword-bearer Maxim Khrebtov
Duke Vladimir Ponomaryov
Classical Duet Valeria Martynuk
Filipp Styopin
Myrtha Yekaterina Kondaurove
Monna Oxana Skorik
Zulma Xenia Ostreikovskaya

The last ballet of the festival starred Diana Vishneva, ABT's Marcelo Gomes and
the majestic Yekaterina Kondaurova as Myrtha.

The evening as a whole was richly rewarding, with Ms Vishneva's performance thoughtfully replete with a detailed reading of the role, at times even idiomatic.
Certain passages, in both acts, seemed, in my view, performed so slowly, that the flow of the story telling and the musical pulse appeared disrupted.

In earlier views of the Mariinsky's production of Giselle I had commented on how
efficiently the story telling advanced throughout the first act. I don't find that this statement applies to this performance.

Ms Vishneva looked extremely ethereal in the first act, in a pale, dusty pink bodice, which contrasted with the rather bright costumes of the ensemble, and had her hair worn back, gathered, but left down. She didn't loosen and free the hair for the 'mad' scene.

The 'mad' scene relied on her expressive body language to signal the effect of events on her state of being. It was a very moving scene, free of rhetorical gestures, and profoundly simple and clear.

Marcelo Gomes was the impetuous youth/noble cad, par excellence.

The Hans/Hilarion of Ilya Kuznetsov was very well done. I really enjoyed his performance of a character one can only feel sympathy for, since his actions are by no means villainous.

I have no idea whether I have ever seen before the classical pas de deux inserted in the first act or where it came from.
Every time I see Giselle it seems a different pdd.
This one looked 'Bournonville'-like and was very well-danced by the charming Martynuk and Styopin. (Styopin's double tours times two ending in 5th demi-plie were exemplary).

The second act held together better with the imperious presence of Kondaurova's Myrtha, a figure suggesting contained fury. The amplitude of her dancing confirmed her reign over the realm of the Wilis, discontented ghosts seeking redemption -for themselves, or in the case of Giselle for her beloved.

A high-point of Vishneva's performance was, for me, her initiation into the sorority of the Wilis with the grands pirouettes en arabesque at dazzling speed. In contrast, some of her adage movements were slower than usually seen.

Mr Gomes' highpoint was his series of entre-chats six with the arms in different positions, exemplifying a soul in a tormented state of remorse.

Altogether, this was an evening of exceptional dancing.

The audience was appreciative with sustained applause, many flower tributes,
endless curtain calls.

Mikhail Agrest conducted.

#49 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:44 AM

We at Ballet Talk are so fortunate to have these reports! Thanks to all. :off topic: :)

#50 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

Yes, thank you all for the reports, they've made wondersul reading! Wish I could have been there...

#51 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

So glad to hear Marcelo and Diana had a great success! Up to a meeting at the ABT in the spring (hope they are cast together).
Natalia, is that Oksana Skorik the same Oksana of "A Beautiful Tragedy"? If so I'm so happy that she got the last laugh over her classmates and teachers who picked on her so much.

#52 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

Yes it is, canbelto.

Well, it's 2:30 am and I am packed and with a full hour prior to my airport-ride showing up, so I can write a little. [I'm on the same flight as 'Chiapurises'! Buddy is on another flight.]

Last night was spectacular, too...many highlights but A#1, for me, was Lopatkina & Kolb's comedy routine. Sometimes the least likely clowns are the best.

#53 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

Sunday, March 22, 2009
FINALE: INTERNATIONAL STARS GALA
Mariinsky Theater

I. WHO CARES?
(Balanchine/Gershwin)
Performed by Igor Zelensky, Elena Lytkina, Natalia Yershova, Anna Zharova and artists of the Novosibirsk State Opera and Ballet Theatre

II. DIVERTISSEMENT

1. Manon pdd - Viktoria Tershkina, Marcelo Gomes
2. Flames of Paris pdd - Irina Golub, Mikhail Lobukhin
3. Impromptu (Derek Deane choreography) - Agnes Oaks, Thomas Edur
4. Le Parc final pdd - Diana Vishneva, Vladimir Malakhov
5. Tarantella (Balanchine) - Leonid Sarafanov, Nadezhda Gonchar (corrected)
6. The Swan (Fokine) - Irma Nioradze
7. Le Grand Pas de Deux (Spuck/Rossini)- Uliana Lopatkina, Igor Kolb
8. Don Q pdd - Evgenia Obraztsova, Angel Corella

III. THEME AND VARIATIONS
Balanchine/Tchaikovsky
Staging by Francia Russell

Performed by Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov and artists of the Mariinsky Ballet

The gala served as the perfect, glamorous ending to what has been a mostly-positive 9th festival. I personally loved the diverts the best -- and so did the audience, in general -- but the two Balanchines were also very capably performed, with the home team's T&V perhaps getting the edge over the fine-but-cautious Novosibirsk troupe's Who Cares?

FULL REPORT on next page of this thread; earlier, I just wanted you to see the 'final'program & casting and get the Big Picture...

[Novikova out for extended period, for happy reasons, as she is expecting her first child. So she really was not in the Kitri Sweepstakes at all.]

Natalia Nabatova

#54 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Portions of the Vishneva/Gomes Giselle is already on youtube as well as their Manon. Funny, I thought I had already posted this but cannot find it. Enjoy!

Thank you all for giving us a glimmer. :off topic:

Edited by vrsfanatic, 22 March 2009 - 04:43 PM.

#55 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

Portions of the Vishneva/Gomes Giselle is already on youtube as well as their Manon. Funny, I thought I had already posted this but cannot find it. Enjoy!

Some of Don Q too!

#56 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

Some of Don Q too!

As well as some of the divertissment from the gala!

#57 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for the hint on the clips...
(wow...is it me or the music for Don Quijote was played veeeeeeeeeery sloooooooooowly...?)

#58 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Thank you for the hint on the clips...
(wow...is it me or the music for Don Quijote was played veeeeeeeeeery sloooooooooowly...?)

Not the coda! It is breakneck speed!

Also--I believe Natalia's notes said Gillian Murphy for Tarantella, but that is not what the youtube video says, nor does it *look* like her...

#59 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

Not the coda! It is breakneck speed!

Also--I believe Natalia's notes said Gillian Murphy for Tarantella, but that is not what the youtube video says, nor does it *look* like her...

It did look like Corella had trouble keeping up with the tempo. And I agree, definitely not Murphy - those are not her Gaynor Mindens. The Cyrillic caption says Nadezhda Gonchar. Her biography page at the Mariinsky website: http://www.mariinsky..._women/gonchar/ It does look like her...

emi

#60 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

. And I agree, definitely not Murphy - those are not her Gaynor Mindens. The Cyrillic caption says Nadezhda Gonchar.
emi

Tarantella was danced by Nadezhda Gonchar, I believe a debut for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):