This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami-Le Corsaire

I saw the program at the rehearsal last night:

Conrad: Miguel A.Blanco

Medora: Shoko Nakamura Saturday Feb 28th, Lorena Feijoo Sunday March 1st

Gulnara: Hayna Gutierrez

Lankendem: Vitor Luiz

Ali: Taras Domitro

Birbanto: Raidel Caceres

Odalisques: Kate Kadow, Grace Anne Powers and Jordan E. Long

Pasha John Sheaffer

etc.

Just came back from tonight's performance. Great job Mamicha! :) , although I found the whole thing a little bit confusing, especially Le Jardin Animee...(Well, this was my very first full length Corsaire EVER, so I was kind of lost at some moments). Will be back after tomorrow's performance.

Don't be concerned about the strangeness of the story-telling. Corsaire was roundly lampooned in its ABT presentation for its melodramatic plotline and narrative style, but it's really typical of the Imperial style of ballet construction, where you get 5 minutes of plot, 30 or more minutes of divertissement, and 3 minutes of denouement and finale per act. Cut to its essentials, it's really not this great love story, but a sort of romantic buddy movie, a la Indiana Jones. On those terms, I find that it makes much more sense.

Cut to its essentials, it's really not this great love story, but a sort of romantic buddy movie, a la Indiana Jones. On those terms, I find that it makes much more sense.

I love the analogy, it made me laugh.

The Kirov revival I thought wonderful and the Bolshoi revival great fun but less aesthetically pleasing.

Don't be concerned about the strangeness of the story-telling. Corsaire was roundly lampooned in its ABT presentation for its melodramatic plotline and narrative style, but it's really typical of the Imperial style of ballet construction, where you get 5 minutes of plot, 30 or more minutes of divertissement, and 3 minutes of denouement and finale per act. Cut to its essentials, it's really not this great love story, but a sort of romantic buddy movie, a la Indiana Jones. On those terms, I find that it makes much more sense.

Mel, I've felt since I first saw the ABT Corsair on video that it reminded me SO much of one of the Indiana Jones films. There's just a touch of self-parody about this version with a tongue in check quality to all the plot twists and turns. This is most evident on the filmed performance with Ethan Stiefel's mock heroics.

Performances of this production with other casts have been less effective but there is usually a sense of fun retained.