This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Who are (or were) the glamour ladies of ballet?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#91 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

The movie "Catch Me If You Can" starring Leonardo DiCaprio, evokes that era of aviation very well. Those were the days.

. So offstage Wendy is glamorous but onstage she is not glamorous at all.

That's interesting, because usually the reverse is true!

#92 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

This thread was on my mind this last week at Pacific Northwest Ballet's Broadway program -- they showed film clips associated with the different ballets on the bill, and for Christopher Wheeldon's "Carousel (A Dance)" they had the Movietone News report on the opening night of the film. It opened simultaneously in LA and NYC, and the contrast was pretty interesting. On the west coast almost all the celebrities were from the film industry, with gossip columnists (Louella Parsons) and minor starlets all wearing evening gowns and furs, smiling like demons at the cameras. The guest list in NYC included Richard Rogers and wife, the bishop (I think) of the Greek Orthodox church, Governor and Mrs Harriman, and Governor and Mrs Muskie from Maine -- a more prestigious group, in real world currency, but much less glamourous. And yet, the women were still draped with the same gowns and the same furs, albeit with Mamie Eisenhower bangs.

#93 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

If you're talking the Mariinsky Ballet currently active female dancers, the two best I know with a glamorous look are Ulyana Lopatkina and Yevgenia Obraztsova, because both look good with a minimum of makeup.

#94 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

Again, another vote for Lorena Feijoo...
http://images.google...htt...t=54&um=1

#95 smitty1931

smitty1931

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

As a fan of Fonteyn you owe it to yourself to see the DVD titled MARGOT. Your library can probably get a copy for you. Absolutely fascinating!

#96 LauraGG

LauraGG

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

Cubanmiamiboy - I saw Lorena Feijoo in San Francisco the other day getting out of her car and walking into a building. Of course I did a double take! I wanted to tell you that she looks just as glamorous on a Wednesday afternoon running around town as she does in that picture! She's a true natural beauty.

#97 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hi, LauraGG.

So it was a chance encounter that finally got you to delurk! Nice to hear from you after all this time!

#98 OKOK

OKOK

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

I dont think you can get more glam that Irina Dvorovenko right now. Not only is she an incredible ballerina, her modeling and lifestyle screams glamorous Visiting her in her dressing room (my husband is a close friend with both Ira and Max, they graduated together in Kiev), changing into a pair of jeans, she was just exsquisite! Here is a link to her modeling photos...

Irina Dvorovenko 1

to be so beautiful and talented!

I too cast my vote for Irina in the pure glam category. I recall reading an interview where Maxim said something to the effect that it was important for a ballerina to have grace ingrained in her every movement, even if it just picking up a glass. I don't know what Irina is like off stage, but I do agree that neither elegance nor glamour (which are different) are qualities which can be put on at will.

#99 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

Can I add to this list? Two people who I used to see in London, who used to blow me away: Alexandra Ansanelli and Tamara Rojo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):