Who are (or were) the glamour ladies of ballet?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

Tatiana Grantzeva was very glamourous. She always dressed so gorgeously to teach class...like Danilova. Tatiana wore matching bright blue leotard and knee-length skirt, pink tights with pink teaching shoes, and always had her head swathed in a white turban, wearing pearl or diamond earrings. Very elegant and glamourous teaching attire! She was a beauty! And, she was a fabulous teacher! Perhaps rg can find a photo of her...

#62 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:34 AM

Tatiana Grantzeva was very glamourous. She always dressed so gorgeously to teach class...like Danilova. Tatiana wore matching bright blue leotard and knee-length skirt, pink tights with pink teaching shoes, and always had her head swathed in a white turban, wearing pearl or diamond earrings. Very elegant and glamourous teaching attire!

A wonderful memory, Gina. Diamonds and pearls! :)

We haven't been talking much about teaching attire, wihch is another kind of "being on stage" for an artist. It would be fascinating to hear other members' memories -- or current experiences -- of especially glamourous teaachers.

#63 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thinking of peacocks, or at least the glamourous ballet costumes that remind us of peacocks ....

http://www.topfoto.c...es/ppage92.html

http://www.topfoto.c...es/ppage65.html

http://www.topfoto.c...es/ppage69.html

Going even further in the subject of ballet/glamour/peacocks... :)
http://www.artsjourn...5700r-thumb.jpg

#64 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

Cristian, I know I've seen that photo of the ballerina/white peacock. :) Who? What? is it?

#65 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Thirty or forty years ago, my wife and I observed a class at SAB taught by Alexandra Danilova. Talk about glamour! (or glamor), she was its epitome, not to mention having gorgeous legs. And she was most gracious to us, because, as she reminded her students, "this is your public."

#66 anin

anin

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

Maya Plisetskaya always was and still is very glamorous.

#67 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

Farrell, I also remember Danilova in her older years. New York City was full of such ladies -- many of them Russian, as I remember it. As a younger person, I was fasciinated at their connection to history and by their dedication to the arts. I guess I always assumed they would be with us always and that their New York City would be, too.

#68 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

Cristian, I know I've seen that photo of the ballerina/white peacock. :lol: Who? What? is it?

She is Marina Franca, a ballerina who danced for Les Ballets Russes de Montecarlo from 1938-1940. (cute costume, right...? :D )

#69 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

Found this

femme fatale

when I was reading along about Bryn Terfel on another thread.

#70 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Thanks, sandik, for the article.

Dirac has started a new thread -- on the "femme fatale" -- here:
http://ballettalk.in...p...c=29040&hl=

You'll find another link to sandik's article there.

Perhaps it makes sense for general discussion of femmes fatales, etc., to be posted on the new thread.

Please keep this thread for "glamour ladies of ballet." Thanks.

#71 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

I dont think you can get more glam that Irina Dvorovenko right now. Not only is she an incredible ballerina, her modeling and lifestyle screams glamorous Visiting her in her dressing room (my husband is a close friend with both Ira and Max, they graduated together in Kiev), changing into a pair of jeans, she was just exsquisite! Here is a link to her modeling photos...

Irina Dvorovenko 1

to be so beautiful and talented!

#72 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

For old-time, filmstar, glamour I'd go for Lorena Feijoo. I can just imagine her on one of the Ballets Russes whistle-stop tours, stepping down out of the train in the morning to be interviewed for the 87th time, in full make-up, a suit and heels and a gorgeous hat.

Yesterday when she came out from her dressing room her whole being screamed glamour: hair, makeup, the dress...the works. Definitely Feijoo. (One could tell she worked carefully on it too... :o )

#73 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

Marvellous! Thanks, Cristian. It goes to show one element of "glamour" that we haven't mentioned so far -- the importance of port de bras & epaulement. Feijoo is at a disadvantage at the start of this clip: she enters on crutches and has to sit in what looks like a rather awkward armchair. Yet every upper body movement is elegant, fluid, completely graceful.

Voice is important, too. Feijoo's is fairly deep and quite welll-modulated. She pronounces her words clearly. Her pace is adagio. She thinks before she speaks.

Many dancers today don't do well in interviews. If the voice is high-pitched, chirpy, or erratically paced .. if diction is sloppy ... if "perky" is the goal .... then "glamour" probably will not be the result.

#74 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

Many dancers today don't do well in interviews. If the voice is high-pitched, chirpy, or erratically paced .. if diction is sloppy ... if "perky" is the goal .... then "glamour" probably will not be the result.

That's very true. Many, perhaps most, dancers have poor speaking voices. I have to remind myself that they're discouraged from "belly breathing" from early childhood. With dancers the voice is frequently stuck in the throat without much "support" from below. Even low-pitched voices are often the result of smoking and have little resonance. It would be interesting to compare the speaking styles of ballet dancers with their brethren on Broadway, who have to reconcile seemingly incompatible breathing techniques for dancing and singing.

#75 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

I don't see the techniques for ballet and classical (opera) singing as incompatible, but perhaps musical theatre vocal technique is different. As ballet is a silent art, it is only natural that few professional ballet dancers would have vocal training.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):