This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

It's snowing again...

Snowbound

...and hence my name! I don't know why I live in northern New England as I am NOT a fan of snow, ice, cold, skiing, snowshoeing...I could go on, but you get the idea! ANyhow, here I am, looking at the snow flying and reading Ballet Talk. My 15 yr. old is a dancer; I hate to call her "recreational" as she trains solidly for 20 hours a week, but she won't be moving into a pre-pro program, although she aspires to teaching. I have always been surrounded by ballet. I grew up in the Boston area, took what was definitely recreational/Dinkle ballet growing up during the 1960's and 1970's, but had the good fortune to have a cousin whose cousin by marriage (and therefore NO relation to me!) was E. Virginia Williams- so there was definitely a "real" ballet influence in my youth, as well as numerous trips into town to see the Ballet. Ballet moves me in a way nothing else can! I am a fan of watching ballets although not well-versed in specific dancers and their careers; a recreational fan, perhaps? No matter; it will be enjoyable to read and learn from other adults interested in ballet from the seats and not from behind the footlights (not that I don't love that also, but with my DD's involvement sometimes I am overwhelmed with production details and don't have the opportunity to discuss, read, and reflect- too busy sewing and painting and managing!).

Welcome to Ballet Talk, Snowbound; we're very happy to have you with us. Like you, we all love ballet on this site and we look forward to having you share in our discussions. Don't know if you're aware of the fact that we have a sister site for dance students and their families: Ballet Talk for Dancers which is accessible at the upper right hand corner of this page. Should you become a member there we'd like to have you use your same name so that we can recognize you. And thanks for the support you give your DD.

Giannina

:crying: Hello Welcome to the Site. I can relate to what you are saying. Here in East Anglia (Norfolk, England) we have recently had the heavest snow for years. It brought everything to a standstill. I was hoping and praying it would clear, as I had booked to take my two grand daughters to see their first live Ballet performnce at a theatre where they live in Yorkshire. Actually on the day, it had begun to thaw, but there were bad weather warnings, but still I set out. It was a good job I had allowed an extra half hour to get to the railway station, as half way there the spare wheel fell off the bus, and they had to get another one into service. But it still made me miss the train, and all the connections from Kings Lynn to Scarborough.

I arrived one hour late, but luckily it had not ruined the nice meal my Daughter had got for one of the girls birthday.

The visiting company were The Moscow City Ballet, the peformance was The Sleeping Beauty.

and it was really excellent. They had their own 60 piece orchestra, and the scenery and costumes were very lovely.

It was reasonable size stage, there was enough room for a fair size corp de ballet, and all the soloists.

The leading Ballerina Alevtina Lapshina was very good, with a high standard of technique, musicality and the beautiful lyrical Port de Bra of the Russian style. From the moment the curtains parted both the girls were enthrawled, barely taking their eyes off the stage. At end of every variation they joined in clapping like mad, smiling all over their faces. The only problem was it was so very cold in the auditorium, we nearly froze to death, having to put on our coats to keep warm. We later found out the heating system was on it's last legs, which despite be fully turned on, it just did not heat the fast area sufficiently.All the same it did not spoil the event, and now two very happy little girls keep asking "When are you going to take us to the ballet again Nanna?" Horefully it will not be too long.

...and hence my name! I don't know why I live in northern New England as I am NOT a fan of snow, ice, cold, skiing, snowshoeing...I could go on, but you get the idea! ANyhow, here I am, looking at the snow flying and reading Ballet Talk. My 15 yr. old is a dancer; I hate to call her "recreational" as she trains solidly for 20 hours a week, but she won't be moving into a pre-pro program, although she aspires to teaching. I have always been surrounded by ballet. I grew up in the Boston area, took what was definitely recreational/Dinkle ballet growing up during the 1960's and 1970's, but had the good fortune to have a cousin whose cousin by marriage (and therefore NO relation to me!) was E. Virginia Williams- so there was definitely a "real" ballet influence in my youth, as well as numerous trips into town to see the Ballet. Ballet moves me in a way nothing else can! I am a fan of watching ballets although not well-versed in specific dancers and their careers; a recreational fan, perhaps? No matter; it will be enjoyable to read and learn from other adults interested in ballet from the seats and not from behind the footlights (not that I don't love that also, but with my DD's involvement sometimes I am overwhelmed with production details and don't have the opportunity to discuss, read, and reflect- too busy sewing and painting and managing!).

Hello Snowbound.

I am also new to this wonderful site. I am also from the Boston area (Braintree) but now live in Tucson, Arizona. It would be a great pleasure to hear about E. Virginia Williams and your connection to her and the Boston Ballet. I saw them several years ago at the Wang Center while visiting my sister, but I'm afraid I did not enjoy the performance. I think because it was a wrong choice of a ballet that they did on that Saturday matinee, yet the theater was full. I wished they had done one of their full length ballets instead, that I know would have been much more enjoyed. I have a CD disc of a discussion about Virginia by Sydney Leanard who I was a long time teacher with Virginia in the early days of Boston Ballet. She is very old now and I wrote to her but she never answered.

Richka,

Just to advise you tht Ms. Williams died in May, 1984, at her home in Malden, Mass. She had retired from the BB due to poor health, and Violette Verdy, who had been co-Artistic Director with Ms. Williams, assumed the duties of Artistic Director - but only for a short time after Ms. Williams' retirement.

Richka,

Just to advise you tht Ms. Williams died in May, 1984, at her home in Malden, Mass. She had retired from the BB due to poor health, and Violette Verdy, who had been co-Artistic Director with Ms. Williams, assumed the duties of Artistic Director - but only for a short time after Ms. Williams' retirement.

I was referring to Sydney Leonard, not V. Williams who I know had died some time ago. Sydney lives in Cambridge, MA, so I am told by Rochelle Zide, who was with Boston Ballet long ago and now lives here in Tucson as well. The disc or rather two discs, is released, with Sydney speaking about the beginnings of BB. Very interesting and she tells a lot about E. Virginia Williams. I forgot who sent it to me but no doubt one of the former BB members. I did write to Sydney (not Ms Williams) for information about early teachers in Boston who she might have known, as I'm writing a book about history of dance in Boston. But she never answered. Too old or forgetful I imagine.