This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Mixed Bill - Allegro Brill, Flames, Pillar & Brief Fling

Yes, I was there too for the YAGP Gala when Osipova (primarily) and Vasiliev stole the show with their dancing. They were fantastic!!! I'd have rather seen them dance Tchai pas or DonQ pas or Black Swan, or, well, just about any other pas de deux that shows some tricks but is also artistically interesting.

Gillian and Sarah are very different dancers. I wouldn't want to see Gillian in Sleeping Beauty... but her tricks are VERY strong. Yes!! I'm not at all interested in seeing Gillian in R&J or Giselle, or Mozartiana either.... See Sarah Kaufman's review for her in Allegro's opening night. I agreed completely.

So, ABT should have cast Gillian in Flames, and given Sarah and Daniil something else!!

p.s. You saw one performance.... I've seen three now of Sarah and Daniil in Flames.... Not one was identical. And one was technically perfect, and then some... ABT would not have cast Sarah in the role otherwise. I agree with you that it's not the best part for her, but that's what Kevin wanted.... at this time...

Vipa, did you not know about the huge success of Osipova/Vasiliev in FLAMES pdd, at City Center, in spring 08? FLAMES lives...and even the full ballet has just become a hit at the Bolshoi, after Ratmansky resurrected the whole ballet for the Bolshoi in July of last year. [it repeats at the Boslhoi again in a couple of weeks, where I'll be seeing it.] So don't be surprised if Ratmansky - you know, the guy who has just been named ABT's artistic associate choreographer -- might stage the full FLAMES on Simkin & Lane's new company soon. Simkin & Lane should NOT be cast in the leads of the full-evening ballet, from what I saw on display at the Kennedy Center this week.

I did know about it, but Flames is just not my cup if tea. There are many ppd's I'd rather see. I know many people disagree, and fortunately in ballet there is something for everyone. I also don't care for Osipova. I admire her freedom of movement and jumps but I find her pretty unmusical. Again many people disagree, but that's why we all choose our casts & programs. I would love to see Simkin & Lane in something more suitable. I hope someone will report on their SL pas de trois.

I recall thinking, of the Stiefel/Murphy 'Flames' that they were not well matched. Murphy is so statuesque and Stiefel so light and weightless that it just didn't work for me. My first choice for a male dancer to do that pas de deux at ABT would be Herman Cornejo, but I'm not sure who he ought to be partnered with.

I recall thinking, of the Stiefel/Murphy 'Flames' that they were not well matched. Murphy is so statuesque and Stiefel so light and weightless that it just didn't work for me. My first choice for a male dancer to do that pas de deux at ABT would be Herman Cornejo, but I'm not sure who he ought to be partnered with.

I know we are veering off topic here, but I had the same thought when I saw Stiefel/Murphy in Sleeping Beauty (I think she was replacing Kent). The partnering went beautifully, but she just looked too big for him. He has a very slight build and she looks very solid and statuesque as you put it.