This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Reading out of duty

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 whetherwax

whetherwax

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

In my youth Iris Murdoch was de rigeur. I remember "Under the Net" fondly. Yet I couldnt read any of her stuff now. Too full of boring people.( as is the Conversations) She was definitely one of the people considered to be of lasting importance does anyone think so now?
I think I'd put Housekeeping on my list of lasting books, but I found Home and Gilead nowhere near as exciting.

#47 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

I'm trying to read Murdoch's A Severed Head at the moment. It is certainly not difficult language, but the plot seems totally unbelievable so far, and I think it is quite dated. I'll have to wait until I've finished to form a definite opinion. I'm also reading three other books (Far from the Madding Crowd, As I Lay Dying, and Silas Marner) so it may take some time.

#48 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

I think I'd put Housekeeping on my list of lasting books, but I found Home and Gilead nowhere near as exciting.

Agreed. Housekeeping is a classic already, but Gilead put me to sleep and I can only attribute the hosannas it received from critics as a "welcome back, don't go away" message to Robinson. Never got around to Home.

She was definitely one of the people considered to be of lasting importance does anyone think so now?

That's a good question. I'm not sure.

#49 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

Far from the Madding Crowd

Adore this book. Hardy is always sublime. Like the movie too.

, As I Lay Dying,

Glad you mentioned this, because Faulkner is as de rigueur as possible, I've read maybe 15 of them, and they are all breathtaking, even the first 'less mature' ones like 'The Unvanquished'. But the BEST i've read are 'Absalom! Absalom!' and 'Light in August', as well as the Snopes trilogy, The Hamlet, The Town, and The Mansion (the last has one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful moments in all literature, for me.) But I have NOT read this one, nor 'The Reivers', nor 'A Fable' (tried that one, liked it less than other Faulkner, and may not retry, don't know.)

and Silas Marner)

Love this, too, you've got a good list of must-reads going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):