This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Violette Verdy to receive highest French Honor

Here is a link to the article, which appears in the Indiana University News

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/web/page/normal/9826.html

She is quoted saying

"I was totally taken by surprise, honored and delighted," said Verdy, one of the premier ballet dancers of the twentieth century. "My whole family has great respect for the order. The men in the family have gone to war. We always thought it was reserved for military heroes, and I never thought of it for myself. I'm amazed; I'm really amazed and deeply, deeply touched."

Congratulations Violette!

What a lovely honor for her!

I spoke with her several times after performances at the NYCB way back when and she was always SO charming. She was also very candid about her performances, surprisingly so. After a SPF....."Oh but the balance wasn't there.....you didn't mind?" This of course in her wonderful French accented English.

Here is a link to the article, which appears in the Indiana University News

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/web/page/normal/9826.html

She is quoted saying

"I was totally taken by surprise, honored and delighted," said Verdy, one of the premier ballet dancers of the twentieth century. "My whole family has great respect for the order. The men in the family have gone to war. We always thought it was reserved for military heroes, and I never thought of it for myself. I'm amazed; I'm really amazed and deeply, deeply touched."

Congratulations Violette!

Wonderful and highly significant award for a wonderful and highly signiificant dancer.

Violette Verdy was one of those dancers in my early ballet going days that re-confirmed my balletomania. Although not her most important performance, if I close my eyes I can see Miss Verdy and Mr Villela in Tchaikovsky pas de deux in London being the absolute epitome of joie de vivre, which I hope will always remains in my memory as it was such an uplifting experience.