ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

Here is a link to the article, which appears in the Indiana University News

http://newsinfo.iu.e...ormal/9826.html

She is quoted saying

"I was totally taken by surprise, honored and delighted," said Verdy, one of the premier ballet dancers of the twentieth century. "My whole family has great respect for the order. The men in the family have gone to war. We always thought it was reserved for military heroes, and I never thought of it for myself. I'm amazed; I'm really amazed and deeply, deeply touched."

Congratulations Violette!

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

She mentioned this when she was in Seattle coaching Pacific Northwest Ballet in Emeralds -- she was captivating (as you would imagine) and very, very thrilled with the recognition.

#3 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

What a lovely honor for her!

I spoke with her several times after performances at the NYCB way back when and she was always SO charming. She was also very candid about her performances, surprisingly so. After a SPF....."Oh but the balance wasn't there.....you didn't mind?" This of course in her wonderful French accented English.

#4 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

Congratulations Violette!! :lightbulb:

#5 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:01 AM

Here is a link to the article, which appears in the Indiana University News

http://newsinfo.iu.e...ormal/9826.html

She is quoted saying

"I was totally taken by surprise, honored and delighted," said Verdy, one of the premier ballet dancers of the twentieth century. "My whole family has great respect for the order. The men in the family have gone to war. We always thought it was reserved for military heroes, and I never thought of it for myself. I'm amazed; I'm really amazed and deeply, deeply touched."

Congratulations Violette!

Wonderful and highly significant award for a wonderful and highly signiificant dancer.
Violette Verdy was one of those dancers in my early ballet going days that re-confirmed my balletomania. Although not her most important performance, if I close my eyes I can see Miss Verdy and Mr Villela in Tchaikovsky pas de deux in London being the absolute epitome of joie de vivre, which I hope will always remains in my memory as it was such an uplifting experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):