This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sarabande!

The Sarabande in Act III always fascinates me--it seems so different from the rest of the ballet, and I've never seen it (live or on DVD/video) performed. I know that notation seems to imply it WAS danced (right before the final Mazurka) at the original 1890 premier, but speculation seems to be it was probably dropped sometime within the first year (at the end of a LONG ballet, that's not too surprising). I also think that Nureyev in at least one version used it at the top of Act III. Are there other versions? And any opinions on this piece? (I find the music absolutely gorgeous--but, mind, I find most of Sleeping Beauty absolutely gorgeous :huh: )

Hello. I share the same opinions on the "Sarabande" that you did; it's a very mellow and relaxing yet also mysterious song. Nureyev did indeed use it at the beginning of Act III before the "Polonaise" (where the guests and fairytale characters usually enter), you are correct. There are actually at least a couple productions I know that do use it differently, usually it's to a solo variation choreographed for Prince Désiré/Florimund in Act II (after the hunting party leaves, before he meets the Lilac Fairy).

The Royal Ballet stagings use(d) choreography by Frederick Ashton for the D/F solo and pitched the song down (from A minor to F minor) and also abridged the song for time. Interestingly there was/is a Leipzig Ballet production that used "Sarabande" as a Désiré solo but it used the original key (A minor) instead.