This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Erik Bruhn Prize 2009

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

The NBoC dancers who will compete this year are Elena Lobsanova and Noah Long! This is a great opportunity for them both, I can't wait to find out which pas de deux they will perform. The remaining competitors will soon be announced on the website.

#2 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for posting Paquita!

I am more than ready for the competition, though am disappointed the Royal Ballet isn't making an appearance this year.

That said, my tickets are purchased and waiting!!

m2

#3 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, paquita, for starting this thread.

Here's a Link to the Erik Bruhn Prize, for those who want to follow the developing story. (They say that "casting" will be posted 2 weeks before the event, March 18.)
http://www.national..../erik_bruhn.php

#4 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the news, Paquita! I am so excited. I've known Noah since he was 14 (he's now 22) and just starting to "look" like a dancer. He had quite a way to go back then. Being a hard worker, he worked wonders on himself, with great teachers and great determination. He's been featured in many solo parts in the last two seasons and this competition will be a wonderful challenge for him. I know he's up for any challenge!

When he was 15 his older sister was "managing" his emerging career and she and I arranged for my daughter and her brother to prepare for a dance competition with a ballet pas de deux. They started learning the Grand Pas from last act Sleeping Beauty together under the coaching of Nadia Veselova-Tencer. (Noah was studying at the Academy of Ballet & Jazz at the time, before he went on to the Goh Academy).

Noah's and my daughter's partnership didn't gel and they abandoned the project. That would have been his first competition in ballet. It would be a hoot if he were to compete with Elena with the SB grand pas! Noah is a wonderful young man and I'm crossing my fingers for him.

#5 ruteyo

ruteyo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

Does anyone know who the participants from each of the companies are?
I don't see the casting up yet on the NBoC website even though it's
supposed to be up by now...

#6 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

I know that Isabella Boylston is competing for ABT! :)

#7 Millie

Millie

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:55 AM

Oh, I am so excited to see Isabella!! My son trained with her in the past.

Who will she be dancing with?

#8 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

Thank you for that news Marga! :off topic:

#9 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

I forgot to ask her! :off topic:

#10 mhb

mhb

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

I forgot to ask her! :dry:

Isabella will be dancing with soloist Cory Stearns.

#11 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

Here's the release:

Competitors and Repertoire Announced for
The Eighth International Competition for The Erik Bruhn Prize
March 18, 2009

March 10, 2009... Karen Kain, Artistic Director of The National Ballet of Canada, today announced competitors and repertoire for The Eighth International Competition for The Erik Bruhn Prize that takes place Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 7:30 pm at the
Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.

The competition, named after one of the greatest male dancers of the 20th century, will showcase a total of ten dancers between 18 and 23 years old. One male and one female dancer from The National Ballet of Canada, American Ballet Theatre, Royal Danish Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and Stuttgart Ballet will compete in a programme of classical and contemporary work.

Each participant receives a medal and the winners each receive a prize of $7,500 and a sculpture by Canadian artist Jack Culiner generously donated by Artcast. New this year is a Choreographic Prize. The couples will perform a contemporary work commissioned for this occasion by each of the participating companies. The winner of the Choreographic Prize will also receive a Jack Culiner sculpture in addition to the $2,000 cash prize

Ms. Kain has commissioned a new work, Dénouement, from Canadian choreographer Matjash Mrozewski for Corps de Ballet members Elena Lobsanova and Noah Long to dance as their contemporary work. They will also perform a pas de deux from Le Corsaire.

Isabella Boylston and Cory Stearns from American Ballet Theatre will dance the Black Swan Pas de Deux from Act III of Swan Lake and End. by Marcelo Gomes. The Royal Danish Ballet will be represented by Hilary Guswiler and Alban Lendorf who will dance the pas de deux from Act II of La Sylphide and An Elegy for Us by Iain Rowe. San Francisco Ballet’s Dores Andre and Anthony Spaulding will dance the pas de deux from Act II of Giselle and Ebony Concerto by Val Caniparoli. Rachele Buriassi and William Moore from Stuttgart Ballet will dance the Black Swan Pas de Deux from Act III of Swan Lake and La Grande Parade du Funk by Bridget Breiner.

Don’t miss this exhilarating evening of dance!

Past winners of The Erik Bruhn Prize >

Biography of Elena Lobsanova >

Biography of Noah Long >

The National Ballet of Canada’s Winter Season continues with John Cranko’s classic retelling of Romeo and Juliet at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts March 11 – 22, 2009.

Tickets:
Prices range from $20 - $200.

Discount rates are available for groups of 10 people or more. Rush seats are available on the day of performance in person at the box office for $30. DanceBreak members aged 16 to 29 can purchase $20 tickets on the day of the performance, depending on availability. Visit DanceBreak.ca.

Venue:
Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, 145 Queen Street West, Toronto.

Box Office:
The box office is located at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts (145 Queen Street West) or call 416 (toll free 1 866) 345 9595. Tickets can also be purchased online at national.ballet.ca.

The 2008/09 season is presented by CTV and The Globe and Mail.

The Eighth International Competition for The Erik Bruhn Prize is presented by John & Claudine Bailey.

Supporting Partner: Deloitte

Official Hotel of The National Ballet of Canada: Fairmont Royal York

Elena Lobsanova is sponsored through Dancers First by Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan.

This production of Romeo and Juliet entered the repertoire of The National Ballet of Canada on February 8, 1995 and was totally underwritten by Walter Carsen, O.C.

The National Ballet of Canada gratefully acknowledges the ongoing support of the Canada Council for the Arts; the Ontario Arts Council; the City of Toronto through the Economic Development, Culture and Tourism Department; The Government of Canada through the Honourable James Moore, Minister, the Department of Canadian Heritage; the Government of Ontario; the Ontario Arts Foundation; the Ontario Trillium Foundation.

#12 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

Winners:

Choreography prize: Matjash Mrozewski (National Ballet of Canada) for "Dénouement"

Male winner: Cory Stearns, ABT, soloist

Female winner: Elena Lobsanova, National Ballet of Canada, corps de ballet

My review and comments to follow!

#13 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:47 AM

Thank you Marga. I really do appreciate your input on the events of the evening. It is the next best thing to being there. :D

#14 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

The official press release:

Elena Lobsanova of The National Ballet of Canada and
Cory Stearns of American Ballet Theatre Win The Erik Bruhn Prize
Matjash Mrozewski Wins Inaugural Choreographic Prize

March 19, 2009… Elena Lobsanova, 22, of The National Ballet of Canada and Cory Stearns, 23, of American Ballet Theatre won The Eighth International Competition for The Erik Bruhn Prize on Wednesday, March 18 at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts in Toronto. They each received a cash prize of $7,500 and a sculpture by Jack Culiner. Canadian choreographer Matjash Mrozewski won the new Choreographic Prize for his work, Dénouement, and also received sculpture by Jack Culiner and a cash prize of $2,000.

Elena Lobsanova, a member of the Corps de Ballet with the National Ballet, danced a pas de deux from Le Corsaire for the classical section and the newly commissioned work, Dénouement, by Matjash Mrozewski for the contemporary section of the competition with Noah Long.

Cory Stearns, a soloist with American Ballet Theatre, danced the Black Swan Pas de Deux from Act III of Swan Lake for the classical section and End., a new work by Marcelo Gomes, for the contemporary section with Isabella Boylston.

Ten dancers in total from The National Ballet of Canada, American Ballet Theatre, Royal Danish Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and Stuttgart Ballet competed for the prestigious prize. Five choreographers competed for the Choreographic Prize which was new this year.

Principal Dancers Chan Hon Goh and Aleksandar Antonijevic hosted the evening. The National Ballet of Canada performed excerpts of Sabrina Matthews’ DEXTRIS which made its world premiere as part of the National Ballet’s winter mixed programme Innovation earlier this month.

#15 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

Congratulations Mrozewski, Lobsanova, and Stearns!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):