This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mondays with Merce

From the website Merce.org:

Starting Monday, January 12, 2009, we invite you to join us in the Merce Cunningham Studio for Mondays With Merce, a series of webcasts available for free viewing. Go behind the scenes at the Merce Cunningham Studio to see Merce teach advanced technique class and conduct rehearsals. The episodes will also include interviews with Merce Cunningham and his associates, including current and former dancers, artists and musicians, and choreographers who have been influenced by his work. We will also feature occasional visits by surprise guests!

The videos are here. I recommend playing at slow speed. You'll have a smaller screen, but even with my DSL, my high speed feed broke up badly, making viewing all but impossible.

There is a note that the third video would be up on Jan. 26, but . . . not yet.

From the website Merce.org:

Starting Monday, January 12, 2009, we invite you to join us in the Merce Cunningham Studio for Mondays With Merce, a series of webcasts available for free viewing. Go behind the scenes at the Merce Cunningham Studio to see Merce teach advanced technique class and conduct rehearsals. The episodes will also include interviews with Merce Cunningham and his associates, including current and former dancers, artists and musicians, and choreographers who have been influenced by his work. We will also feature occasional visits by surprise guests!

The videos are here. I recommend playing at slow speed. You'll have a smaller screen, but even with my DSL, my high speed feed broke up badly, making viewing all but impossible.

There is a note that the third video would be up on Jan. 26, but . . . not yet.

First of all--the third episode will be up NEXT Monday, Feb. 9. The webpage will be changed to reflect this. Sorry---that was the date of the second episode.

Second, I think our web streaming issues are now solved. Hurray! Staring this next Monday, you should have no trouble viewing Mondays with Merce on your computer, no matter your connection, band width, etc. We had much more traffic than anticipated (!!) (thanks, Ballet Talk!!!) and are trying to be responsive to everyone's viewing "issues." Thanks for this post. I am so so pleased to have Ballet Talkers viewing Mondays with Merce. Write to me at nancy@merce.org with any comments, viewing problems, or anything at all, and I will respond as soon as I can. Thanks Carbro!

xox,

Nancy Dalva

producer/writer

Mondays with Merce

Mondays with Merce

Thanks so much for your work on this, Nanatchka. I had been greatly looking forward to these videos, and, viewing issues aside, I have not been disappointed.

Thank you so much! If you are a facebook user, join the Mondays with Merce group---I send updates on all the programs. We're working on 003 now...

I don't know how long it's been there, but a fifth Mondays with Merce video is now up. This one's called Class Time at Westbeth, and in addition to class footage it consists of interviews with Merce, company archivist David Vaughan, dancer Rashaun Mitchell, and class pianist Pat Richter. Richter in particular is an interesting character, and it's a treat to get a little introduction to someone behind the scenes in the company.