• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

In case you didn't read the New York Times today, there was an article ("A Mayor's Lie Throws a City Into Turmoil") in which the reporter quotes Christopher Stowell at the very end. The article discusses the scandal surrounding the new mayor -- whether he did/did not have sex with an underage intern and then induced said intern to lie about the whole thing.

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

-->Here.

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

-->Here.

I have been wincing since I first read about this situation, but I do think it's interesting that the NYT is quoting the director of the local ballet company.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

Stowell used to date the mayor, which has been noted in a number of published articles. He's been quoted about Adams before.

#5 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:52 AM

Really? Juicy!

#6 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

Stowell used to date the mayor, which has been noted in a number of published articles. He's been quoted about Adams before.

Weird that the NYT doesn't state that, for non-OR readers--seems a rather arbitrary choice of interviewee otherwise.

And I didn't know he was out. 'Bout time.

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

But the proposed remedy has at least the advantage of uniqueness. Who can picture a public official given a public-interest entourage of "pushers" (after the fashion of old-time sweatshops), all going "Hurry up! Hurry up!" "Ah, ah, ah, naughty, naughty!" or "Is this trip to the bathroom really necessary? I'm timing you!"?

#8 printscess

printscess

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

Really? Juicy!

Why should this even be a topic of conversation?

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

Why should this even be a topic of conversation?

It is the sort of thing we try to avoid at BT, but Stowell’s affair with the mayor has been noted in print and the fact is relevant to the statements Stowell is making for publication regarding the mayor. If Stowell was publicity-shy about it he could always say, “No comment.”

I was amused by Stowell’s suggestion about “forcing” the mayor to stay in office when from all indications it would take a SWAT team to get him out.

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

I think the thread started very innocently as a, "Look! The NYTimes quoted an artistic director in a political context" and that's fine to discuss (and to mention the reasons) but we'll need to keep the discussion to that topic and not romp off to "I wonder how many other dance people have had affairs with major political figures?" :lightbulb:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):