This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Other Ashton ballets that are certainly revivable/revived are Sinfonietta, Valses Nobles et Sentimentales and Capriol Suite. I find it hard to believe that Persephone could not be revived although Antony Rusell-Roberts (Ashton's nephew and the heir to a number of his ballets) says not. However, that's what he said about Dante Sonata.

I'm also sure that at least some parts of The Creatures of Prometheus could be revived.

Incidentally, the waltz in ActI of Swan Lake was originally a pas de six. It was expanded for the Helpman production in 1963, but the original was retained in the Touring Company's production. I always thought it was a better version.

Thank you for that, Alymer. I've always been curious about Valse Nobles et Sentimentales. At a panel discussion here in Washington during the Royal's recent visit, Russell Roberts said he thought "we've gotten back all we can," and David Vaughan piped up right away, "Oh, no. There's...." and had quite a few suggestions.

There was another version of the Waltz in Act I of Sleeping Beauty, a pre-War version, with me, wasn't there? I've always been curious about that, too.

The one I'd like to get back is the Nutcracker -- new designs would be fine, but I'd like to see the choreography.