This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Corella Ballet documentary preview trailer posted online

The preview trailer to my documentary of the creation and development of Angel Corella´s "Corella Ballet de Castilla y Leon" is now online at Dancemedia.com. Sorry, I couldn´t post the link, I´m in Spain with limited computer access.

Moderators, please delete anything if necessary, and hopefully people will still find it. I know everyone has been patiently waiting for many months. I wanted to post here first, and then on the CB thread, but didn´t want to duplicate anything. Hope all interested BT members enjoy it, you are my most critical and knowledgeable audience. All comments welcome.

What beautiful images of dancers, studio, costumes, countryside ... everything. Not to mention the choice of music. I had never heard of Santiago de Murcia, the composer, but now want to hear more. It's great to see Corella both participating in class and teaching.

Definitely keep us informed on matters like release, availability, and how this work fares out there in the world.

And thanks, carbro, for putting up the Link. :wub:

Here's another Link: to the Company website.

http://www.corellaballet.com/

Thank you everyone for kind comments, and special thanks to carbro for providing the direct link to the trailer, and to bart for the link to the Corella Ballet website. I tried to watch it on my hotel´s computer, but it doesn´t have audio, so I don´t know if anything is even in sync. (Good thing I remember every note in my head, where of course sync is perfect.)

Some ot the CB dancers have tried to watch it, but the link is slow here. I don´t think Angel has had time to view it yet; yesterday, I interviewed him again (one year to the day since the last time) and he mentioned how intense his schedule has become trying to do it all as AD and dancer, and international entrepreneur trying to raise funds to support the company. (Something I can definately understand.)

Yes, that was Makarova. She was at La Granja to rehearse the Company the week before the debut in Madrid, and then of course at the performances. She was so very kind to Angel and the Company, and of course extremely pointed and detailed in her coaching. Did you also see ABT´s Susan Jones who worked tirelessly with the corps? Much of the studio footage of their perfection is due to their own discipline, and hers, Carmen´s, and Angel´s excellent coaching.

I am working on creating a website for the film, and eventually the dvd, but meanwhile I still need to raise funds to complete it. But I am glad, the word has finally gotten out to the world, and that you enjoyed viewing the trailer. Gracias to all concerned.

Audio as well as video worked perfectly on my computer. Each was crystal-clear.

This is a small point, but it was fun to see them mopping rainwater off the outdoor stage at La Granja and emptying the chairs. Dancing outdoors has its challenges! But everyone seems so game, so happy. Pride and hope DO make life easier, don't they?

And that was actually the 2nd time. The first downpour occurred 4hrs before the performance, so we all mopped and squeegeed (sp?) and then 30mins after we finished, it poured again (2hrs before the performance) so we delayed the opening number 45mins. Then the temp dropped to 30 degrees F. and the staged iced. But they still danced Bruch Violin Concerto, Clear (shirtless of course), and In the Upper Room. Oh yeah, my camera froze (literally and figuratively) at one point, so I had to ¨"bearhug" it all night so my body heat (not much, I was cold too) could keep the camera running and the HD tape rolling. The following night it didn´t rain--it hailed that afternoon instead, but the condensation and ice and cold were the same. It was a very memorable weekend in a lot of ways.

Exciting news, 4mrdncr! Congratulations to you and your team. :)

Thanks, but FYI: there is no team. I was also the key grip, dolly grip, gaffer and best boy, and called the shots for my editor (of course he was much quicker executing them on the NLE (nonlinear editing--ie.computer) system than I will ever be). I got to be a gofer too when I could pause. Now I´m learning to be the marketer-publicist-p.r. person as you may have guessed. I just hope some day I can be the fiscal officer too.

PS: Thanks for the lovely flowers emoticon, this computer took 2 days to render but they still looked lovely and fresh to me.

I read in the Times today that the Perlman/Ma/et al. performance at the Inauguration was mimed to recorded music owing to the cold weather. ("string-synched"?) Dancers don't that option. They have to perform no matter what the weather. There's no such thing as miming mime, I suppose?

Pavarotti's and the orchestra's performance of "Nessun Dorma" during the 2006 Olympics was pre-recorded just before the event and lip-synched/mimed for similar reasons.

I once saw a performance of Pacific Northwest Ballet in midsummer on an outdoor stage at the Chateau St. Michelle winery. It was so cold on a night in August that they had to wear leg-warmers in the last ballet to avoid injury.

:wink: I loved the trailer, and look forward to the release of your DVD, I certainly hope to be able to buy it. Will it have English subtitles, if the main language is Spanish? It looks a very talented company, larger in size than I imagined. I do really hope they can be successful.

I think that funding could be a problem for them. Considering the talent of many Spanish dancers in other companies, it would be a good idea if their government would subsidize the veture as other countries in Europe do. Then their ia also the European 5b funding, which the Arts are included in.

It may be worth your time to look into that for your film 4mrdncr, I was able to get support for a venture of my own a few years back. (That is if the scheme has niot expired) Send me a private message if you wish to know more.

And finally it seems that global warming has now affected ballet, considering the adverse weather that had to be coped with. That is the joy of appearing in the open air. We had a sand storm whilst performing at the Baalbeck Festiva in Lebanon. Good luck with your future plans.

:thanks: Carbro I will enjoy lookibng it up and learning more about them. On the Tamara Rojo Snow White DVD, there was a very good guy who danced the main dwarf, Virtuoso Dwarf?) and I wondered if by any chance he has made it into Angel Corella's Company. I must try and find out his name and check up.
:thanks: I loved the trailer, and look forward to the release of your DVD, I certainly hope to be able to buy it. Will it have English subtitles, if the main language is Spanish? It looks a very talented company, larger in size than I imagined. I do really hope they can be successful.

I think that funding could be a problem for them. Considering the talent of many Spanish dancers in other companies, it would be a good idea if their government would subsidize the veture as other countries in Europe do. Then their ia also the European 5b funding, which the Arts are included in. It may be worth your time to look into that for your film 4mrdncr, I was able to get support for a venture of my own a few years back. (That is if the scheme has niot expired) Send me a private message if you wish to know more.

And finally it seems that global warming has now affected ballet, considering the adverse weather that had to be coped with. That is the joy of appearing in the open air. We had a sand storm whilst performing at the Baalbeck Festiva in Lebanon. Good luck with your future plans.

Thanks Nanarina. I, too, look forward to finishing the film/releasing it--it's been a LONG process. (nearly 2yrs now). Yes, the documentary will definately have English subtitles if I want to broadcast it here (USA) or Europe; it's required. In fact the film is about 50-50 English & Spanish. At the moment, I'm trying to translate 12 interview transcripts from the original Spanish--v.slowly as I'm not fluent by any means.

Corella Ballet HAS funding from the government (and it's several national/regional/local layers)--but especially that of Segovia/La Granja and Castilla y Leon. In fact, the amount of support increased earlier this year, despite the economy. So, after 7 years of effort by Angel and his Foundation (2000-07), CB's tours of Spain (2008-09), and Angel continuing to win honors and acclaim (he just won the Premio Galileo 2000 on Oct.24th) from various national & international organizations /governments, I'm sure the Spanish government will realize what an asset he and his company are to Spain, (and of course us too.) FYI: I receive NO funding from any of the above--as per required "editorial control" standards--so thanks for the advice, I will do as you ask.

:flowers: Hello 4mrdncr. thank you for your reply, and for the news aboutg A.C.B. C. funding etc, Ity is good to hear they are getting support. It would be marvelous to see them in the UK.

I can imagine you translating the documents, I too have problems when I get stuff from the Paris Opera. BUt I have found a great help from an internet electronic translator. It is the

SDLDesktop Translater https/secure.freetranslation.com it costs $39.95 per year. and covers quite a

lot of different languages. It is available on line, and i have used it for 3 years now. Very easy to use, you just type the script into the relevant box, choose the countries involved (i.e. spanish to english) click on translate, and the anwer appears very quickly at the side, which you can then print out. Saves a lot of work and brain power. Look it up I can really recommend it.