This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Nouveau Colorado's 2009 Choreographer Competition

I went to the 3rd (out of 6) performances, and my impression is that the entries were not up to the standards of last year's competition. All were marred by ugly costumes (2 of the 3 choreographers are friends and the costumes for their works were identical except for the color). The winner (Joshua Blake Carter) probably deserved to win (I wasn't motivated to vote), but the music he chose was beyond unlistenable: someone's attempt at "minimalist" music, with the lyrics consisting of counting backwards from 10 (over and over and over and over and over and over and over again).

After the intermission, we were treated to BNC Artistic Director Garret Ammon's latest work. This piece included several episodes of women in short skirts lying on their backs spread-eagled with their feet, etc., facing the audience. I found it tasteless, and it left me wondering whether I really want to send them another check this year.