This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet in Animation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

What always gets me about those movies or just ballet in general in cartoons is the lack of properly using turnout and pointing of the feet. These are things a dancer pays attention to whereas a "normal" person may tend to brush over. Hands as well and the por de bras I feel is also often overlooked. When there is no shape even to the finger tips it bothers me dearly!

Yes!!! It is the same for musicians watching actors holding a violin or cello bow with a stiff claw hand or doing vibrato with a jerky movement.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

I am surprised nobody has dared to mention the Barbie catastrophes.

Oh...that... :o

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Denial.

I regard those as representative of ballet as the Barbie doll is of an actual woman.

Edited to add: I love the dancing in "What's Opera, Doc?", even if the turnout is inconsistent.

#19 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

Denial.

I regard those as representative of ballet as the Barbie doll is of an actual woman.

Yes I have heard this too, but the animator did not pay attention to detail at all of her pointe or turnout or hands.

Hi Helene!

#20 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

Edited to add: I love the dancing in "What's Opera, Doc?", even if the turnout is inconsistent.

"What's Opera, Doc?" is amazing! :o

#21 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 27,854 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

Denial.

My young nieces enjoyed the Barbies. Haven't seen them myself.

#22 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

"What's Opera, Doc?" is amazing! :)

Our local history museum is hosting an exhibit about the golden age of Warner Brothers cartoons. Lots of sketches and cells, some timing sheets (very detailed) and a viewing booth in the back of the gallery with "What's Opera, Doc"? on the playlist.

#23 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

"What's Opera, Doc"... :) :bow: I'm a life-long fan...Warner Bros. Cartoons... :wub:

#24 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:05 AM

At this point, some of you may be asking: "What's "What's Opera, Doc," Doc?"

Here's a Link:

It's amazing to think that there were actually large audiences -- including kids -- who would have had a fairly clear idea of what this cartoon was all about. Our local movie house in the 50s actually looked like an opera house!

#25 jllaney

jllaney

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Bart took a ballet class and dances in an episode of the Simpsons. Although he had to wear a mask to keep from getting beat up by the other kids so it doesn't paint a great picture of ballet for boys.
The Family guy also had an episode where Peter and Quagmire text each other at the ballet/ Swan Lake.
Tom and Jerry had an entire episode dedicated to the Nutcracker on cartoon Network this past Xmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):