This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet in Animation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

What always gets me about those movies or just ballet in general in cartoons is the lack of properly using turnout and pointing of the feet. These are things a dancer pays attention to whereas a "normal" person may tend to brush over. Hands as well and the por de bras I feel is also often overlooked. When there is no shape even to the finger tips it bothers me dearly!

Yes!!! It is the same for musicians watching actors holding a violin or cello bow with a stiff claw hand or doing vibrato with a jerky movement.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

I am surprised nobody has dared to mention the Barbie catastrophes.

Oh...that... :o

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,470 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Denial.

I regard those as representative of ballet as the Barbie doll is of an actual woman.

Edited to add: I love the dancing in "What's Opera, Doc?", even if the turnout is inconsistent.

#19 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

Denial.

I regard those as representative of ballet as the Barbie doll is of an actual woman.

Yes I have heard this too, but the animator did not pay attention to detail at all of her pointe or turnout or hands.

Hi Helene!

#20 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

Edited to add: I love the dancing in "What's Opera, Doc?", even if the turnout is inconsistent.

"What's Opera, Doc?" is amazing! :o

#21 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

Denial.

My young nieces enjoyed the Barbies. Haven't seen them myself.

#22 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

"What's Opera, Doc?" is amazing! :)

Our local history museum is hosting an exhibit about the golden age of Warner Brothers cartoons. Lots of sketches and cells, some timing sheets (very detailed) and a viewing booth in the back of the gallery with "What's Opera, Doc"? on the playlist.

#23 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

"What's Opera, Doc"... :) :bow: I'm a life-long fan...Warner Bros. Cartoons... :wub:

#24 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:05 AM

At this point, some of you may be asking: "What's "What's Opera, Doc," Doc?"

Here's a Link:

It's amazing to think that there were actually large audiences -- including kids -- who would have had a fairly clear idea of what this cartoon was all about. Our local movie house in the 50s actually looked like an opera house!

#25 jllaney

jllaney

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Bart took a ballet class and dances in an episode of the Simpsons. Although he had to wear a mask to keep from getting beat up by the other kids so it doesn't paint a great picture of ballet for boys.
The Family guy also had an episode where Peter and Quagmire text each other at the ballet/ Swan Lake.
Tom and Jerry had an entire episode dedicated to the Nutcracker on cartoon Network this past Xmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):