This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Found at New York City Ballet

erpollock

"Carbro" has invited me to introduce myself as a new member. I got off to a rocky start with my initial post "Ballerinas and Candy Wrappers" in the forum "Everything Else Ballet". I was compared to a ballet mistress wielding a stick, and attacked for describing a dancer who opened the door for me as "classy". I will try to stick to non-controversial topics here on in. My area of interest and devotion: New York City Ballet, its dancers, George Balanchine, the School of American Ballet, and all books on Balanchine, his life and work, books on his chief dancers, etc. I have attended City Ballet for almost 30 years, and it is my great love. I'd enjoy communicating with the perceptive members of Ballet Talk about NYCB performances.

I was compared to a ballet mistress wielding a stick, and attacked for describing a dancer who opened the door for me as "classy". I will try to stick to non-controversial topics here on in.

Oh...no, no..don't see it as an "atack" at all . It's actually very friendly-(here...some flowers... :innocent: )-...and it gets to be even more interesting when some nice controversy shows up. (Honestly, when days pass by with not much to differs about, I start to get preocupied...and bored... :wink: )

Bienvenida!!

I was compared to a ballet mistress wielding a stick, and attacked for describing a dancer who opened the door for me as "classy". I will try to stick to non-controversial topics here on in.

Oh...no, no..don't see it as an "atack" at all . It's actually very friendly-(here...some flowers... :innocent: )-...and it gets to be even more interesting when some nice controversy shows up. (Honestly, when days pass by with not much to differs about, I start to get preocupied...and bored... :wink: )

Bienvenida!!

Yes, you listen to Cristian, he tells the truth. After all, you and I both have a deep common interest in 'perceptive people', and we will search for these together! I don't remember the part about the ballet mistress with the stick, though, and I thought I'd memorized that thread, since it was deeply stimulating while remaining less than cataclysmic.... :P Anyway, enjoy yourself here, because that's what it's for.

Glad to read your formal introduction, erpollock, from one 30-year watcher to another.

I'd enjoy communicating with the perceptive members of Ballet Talk about NYCB performances.
I hope you'll at least peruse other areas of the board. There's a lot of history here, discussion of overall trends in the art.

I don't remember the "ballet mistress" comment, either. :wink:

Welcome! :innocent:

I looked up the comment in the original thread. Cristian had referred to the old generation of schoolteachers who enforced discipline with a stick, and the class behaved, but in fear. That was where I got the "ballet mistress" idea from - sorry if I misremembered, but I got the general idea.

Eileen

Glad to read your formal introduction, erpollock, from one 30-year watcher to another.
I'd enjoy communicating with the perceptive members of Ballet Talk about NYCB performances.
I hope you'll at least peruse other areas of the board. There's a lot of history here, discussion of overall trends in the art.

I don't remember the "ballet mistress" comment, either. :wub:

Welcome! :blush:

Welcome to Ballet Talk, erpollock.

You'll find that a number of us here go back to the City Center days. I, for one, certainly know what it is to feel a kind of ownership in this company and to feel a deep personal connection to its founder and his legacy.

Looking forward to your posts on NYCB performances -- AS WELL AS on NYCB history, please. :blush: