This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballerinas and Candy Wrappers

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

The Mark Morris company, who rented the theater, has the right to institute specific policies for their performances, and we were advised that they would allow drinks and food inside the hall during their performances.

That sounds like perhaps the company wanted audience members to be allowed to bring in refreshments bought in the theater. They don't sell candy wrapped in cellophane there . . . do they?? Sorry for your rotten experience, but I'm glad it at least occurred during a performance you weren't excited about. Next time, whack that lady with the baby rattle! ;-)

#32 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Does dropping a wrapper make one "bad" and holding a door make one "good"? I know white collar thieves who would steal your last dollar while you were starving and they were feasting, or sue you for decades merely for pleasure and vindictiveness, who always smile to your face and say "please" and hold the door open when you pass. Manners are welcomed and supported, and they permit smoother interactions in society, but having them does not lead to any conclusion regarding one's ethics, morals, or character. Con men are always charming and mannerly. Sometimes poor manners are called for, as well, as a manner of sending a message nonverbally.

#33 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

Does dropping a wrapper make one "bad" and holding a door make one "good"? Manners are welcomed and supported, and they permit smoother interactions in society, but having them does not lead to any conclusion regarding one's ethics, morals, or character.

My experience has very little-(actually nothing)- to do with high, complexes theories and deep moral thoughts. I don't really care, nor do I now, if the woman texting, or the other one eating candy or the third one shaking the rattle are beautiful human beings. For that matters, the three of them could have been as amazing as Mother Theresa and I still would find their behavior totally disruptive, disrespectful and invasive. Gosh...seriously...it's really time to stop being so over condescendet and remind people of which basic principles of manners-(those we're all supposed to learn at home, as kids)-are to be applied once you step in a Opera House. The other stuff about murder and stealing and the rest of the commandments is certainly subject for endless discussions, but honestly, I don't think they would be appropriate stuff for this thread. As for the rest, as Helene says, there's always the circus.

#34 Roberto Dini

Roberto Dini

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

I think Kander & Ebb summed up the whole idea of class, or lack thereof, pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq4VtQQ00XI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nZ7nKh8zHg

Does dropping a wrapper make one "bad" and holding a door make one "good"? Manners are welcomed and supported, and they permit smoother interactions in society, but having them does not lead to any conclusion regarding one's ethics, morals, or character.

My experience has very little-(actually nothing)- to do with high, complexes theories and deep moral thoughts. I don't really care, nor do I now, if the woman texting, or the other one eating candy or the third one shaking the rattle are beautiful human beings. For that matters, the three of them could have been as amazing as Mother Theresa and I still would find their behavior totally disruptive, disrespectful and invasive. Gosh...seriously...it's really time to stop being so over condescendet and remind people of which basic principles of manners-(those we're all supposed to learn at home, as kids)-are to be applied once you step in a Opera House. The other stuff about murder and stealing and the rest of the commandments is certainly subject for endless discussions, but honestly, I don't think they would be appropriate stuff for this thread. As for the rest, as Helene says, there's always the circus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):