This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I noticed tonight that the presenters started all their "and the award goes to..." statements with the name of the film, and then the individuals. Much easier to follow along!

That was a good idea, I agree. I did not much care for the innovation of hauling out multiple past winners to announce the acting nominations and address the nominees in the audience with a laundry list of their many fine qualities. “In this role, Anne, you expressed the full range of emotions possible to the human condition in a performance unparallelled in the acting profession. You have a cute nose. You are kind to animals. You brush your teeth after every meal and floss regularly.....”

I did not much care for the innovation of hauling out multiple past winners to announce the acting nominations and address the nominees in the audience with a laundry list of their many fine qualities.

Yes, I thought that was distracting and a bit insincere when some of the presenters had to look back and forth between the nominee and the teleprompter.

Hugh was great; loved the opening but didn't care for the Baz Luhrmann number toward the middle (in my mind no one other than Fred can/should do Top Hat, White Tie and Tails). It seems standard now that Beyonce performs at every awards show. And I can definitely do without the HSM stars.

I did not much care for the innovation of hauling out multiple past winners to announce the acting nominations and address the nominees in the audience with a laundry list of their many fine qualities.

Yes, I thought that was distracting and a bit insincere when some of the presenters had to look back and forth between the nominee and the teleprompter.

Sincerity? It's Hollywood! These aren't even real people here.

I actually liked the past presenters giving awards but, unlike the NY Times critic, I thought it worked better with the women than the men--it was a gesture that connected older and younger women, unusual to see in Hollywood. True, only a gesture.

The "comedy" montage was pretty good--very edgy and actually funny.

Steve Martin and Tina Fey were great!

Hugh was great; loved the opening but didn't care for the Baz Luhrmann number toward the middle (in my mind no one other than Fred can/should do Top Hat, White Tie and Tails). It seems standard now that Beyonce performs at every awards show. And I can definitely do without the HSM stars.

He did fine but I was wondering what happened to him in the second part of the show. (So did Will Smith, evidently; I didn’t think he was joking). The Luhrmann number was bad, but not in the pleasantly old fashioned campy badness of Oscar production numbers gone by; just chopped up and painful – but hey, it’s Luhrmann.

I actually liked the past presenters giving awards but, unlike the NY Times critic, I thought it worked better with the women than the men--it was a gesture that connected older and younger women, unusual to see in Hollywood. True, only a gesture.

I understand it was kind of a slap at last year’s winning actors, who were deemed not to have the star names to present on their own and so were shored up in this fashion. Daniel Day-Lewis did not present, and if he was blowing them off deliberately, good for him. At least he didn't have to stand next to Michael Douglas.

It wouldn't surprise me if Fey does host one of these years.

The Luhrmann number was bad, but not in the pleasantly old fashioned badness of Oscar production numbers gone by; just chopped up and painful – but hey, it’s Luhrmann.

Luhrmann, shown on camera after the number, did not look pleased. I'm not sure if this is because he saw how lame it was, or whether he felt the sub-talent had ruined his artistic vision.

I had to look up HSM -- I didn't realize it was High School Musical.

I was distracted in general by the men's sloppy hair. And why was Philip Seymour Hoffman wearing that dumb hat indoors?

miliosr's picks for Best and Worst Dressed at the Oscars:

Best Dressed Man:

Zac Efron -- Sorry dirac but Efron looked like a swoony 30s matinee idol in that classic tux and that slicked back hair.

Best Dressed Woman:

Angelina Jolie -- I know she polarizes the audience like Moses parting the Red Sea but I loved the juxtaposition of the "simple" black dress with the contrasting green/emerald earrings.

Worst Dressed Man:

Mickey Rourke -- A white suit, no tie, greasy, scraggly hair -- ugh!!!

Worst Dressed Woman:

Beyonce -- The dress looked like it was wearing her rather than the other way around and the gold print was something you would have seen on a couch.

I was distracted in general by the men's sloppy hair. And why was Philip Seymour Hoffman wearing that dumb hat indoors?

I thought he might be expecting snow. The men can always get away with a certain amount of sloppiness, though, while all the ladies look as if they’ve been in makeup since 6 AM. Of course, they probably have.

Zac Efron -- Sorry dirac but Efron looked like a swoony 30s matinee idol in that classic tux and that slicked back hair.

I thought Efron looked fine, miliosr, very spiffy. I think you may have me confused with another poster.

Angelina Jolie -- I know she polarizes the audience like Moses parting the Red Sea but I loved the juxtaposition of the "simple" black dress with the contrasting green/emerald earrings.

Jolie looked stunning, even for her. The dress itself was nice enough but it mainly served to draw your attention to the woman wearing it ("I'm too beautiful to need a lot of extra help from my frock, thanks all the same") and she looked elegant. The earrings were perfect with the gown.

Philip Seymour Hoffman isn't exactly known for his good looks or fashion sense. The hat was a particularly silly touch. I loved Penelope Cruz's dress. It was an exquisite work of art. I also thought Ann Hathaway's dress was gorgeous, and she looked terrific. I The lady can definitely sing! Shirley MacLain looks like she has had one too many face lifts. Goldie Hawn looks terrific. I saw her up close at the theater in October (at "All My Sons") and she looks much younger than her age and is very petite and thin. Worst dressed, in my opinion, was Beyonce and Tilda Swinton (what else is new!). The tackiest aspect of the show was when Jennifer Aniston was on stage, and the camera turned to Brad Pitt to show his expression. The Baz Luhrmann number looked pretty bad, and he looked very unhappy. I haven't seen either Milk or the Wrestler, but I'm glad that we didn't have to listen to Mickey Rourke's expletive filled nonsense again. Sean Penn at least has something substantive to say.

I thought he might be expecting snow. The men can always get away with a certain amount of sloppiness, though, while all the ladies look as if they’ve been in makeup since 6 AM. Of course, they probably have.

Yes they can! Can you even imagine a woman making a comeback looking anything like Mickey Rourke? (Notice how all the women presenting in the supporting category--from Eva Marie Saint to Tilda Swinton--were implicitly lumped together as "older women.")

Not that we're fans of a field that respects age in women!

Philip Seymour Hoffman isn't exactly known for his good looks or fashion sense.

I’d say it’s more a question of what is seemly, to use an old fashioned word, on a big formal public occasion. Hoffman doesn’t have to look like a model, he just has to dress appropriately.

Yes they can! Can you even imagine a woman making a comeback looking anything like Mickey Rourke? (Notice how all the women presenting in the supporting category--from Eva Marie Saint to Tilda Swinton--were implicitly lumped together as "older women.")

No, I can’t imagine any woman getting away with that. I didn’t catch that about the female presenters in the supporting category mostly being older, but you may be right about that. I just think it’s sad watching the inroads plastic surgery is making on the women’s faces. Loren, MacLaine, and Hawn presenting Best Actress looked like they were ready for Madame Tussaud’s, and it was a striking contrast to the older men, who all looked more or less like themselves.

I also thought Ann Hathaway's dress was gorgeous, and she looked terrific. I The lady can definitely sing!

Hathaway should have been born a few generations ago. She would have been a promising MGM musical lady, I think.

And why was Philip Seymour Hoffman wearing that dumb hat indoors?

For what it's worth, Mr. Hoffman has said that his hair is cut for a film he's currently shooting, and felt better prepared to deal with the hat jokes rather than the hair jokes.

I would have liked a little more color in her face. I didn't like the choice of the nude lips with the emerald earrings (which were stunning).

Luhrmann, shown on camera after the number, did not look pleased. I'm not sure if this is because he saw how lame it was, or whether he felt the sub-talent had ruined his artistic vision.

It was a mess. I know Jackman loves musicals, but it was awful. And really, if they were going to use the HSM and "Mamma Mia!" kids for the ratings, I think they should have let them actually do something besides wave their arms with the chorus boys and girls.

Sorry all popular or other dancers, but I've learned that when they stop to do a big show number it is best to avoid it. So usually I switch to another channel (PBS) for the duration of the number. I did see the beginning and end of one of the numbers from the composer/performer of "Slumdog Millionaire", but thankfully missed everything else. I don't suppose I missed any true ballet dancers.

PS. I loved the emeralds on Jolie and the simplicity of her dress. One of the other actresses had some cabochon drops too though with teardrop platinum setting and some tiny sparkles (diamond accent?); I think I saw a necklace somewhere too. I guess 'green' is in these days.

Sorry all popular or other dancers, but I've learned that when they stop to do a big show number it is best to avoid it.

I don’t mind them if they’re bad in the right way. I still have fond memories of their musical evocation of “Crash” a few years back, which was strongly reminiscent of "Night of the Living Dead."

The “Slumdog” songs were enjoyable and a big improvement over the usual Disney material.