This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What does a dancer need to become a prima ballerina?

Terry

I've been wondering about this lately, actually. There are stories that tell you that Fonteyn was so obviously a ballerina from the very beginning- that to jjust look at her you wanted to cry because of her natural gifts. I guess she just had a very natural vulnerability, radiance or other such quality to her personality. You begin to wonder if you can spot a "ballerina" from the start. Having just seen ABT, I can say that there are a lot of good dancers there, but only a couple of them struck me as ballerina types- and those were not necessarily the ones dancing the larger roles. It is very subjective, though- except in the cases of an honor being bestowed (Fonteyn). One person's ideal ballerina may appear as a dancer with two left feet to someone else.

Guest BalletAddict03

Just something Clive Barnes said about the politics of ballet. He said something along the lines of "There are two types of politics: politics and ballet politics. Politics are bad, and ballet politics are worse."