This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Great performances New Years Gala Vienna

Watching now on PBS Valadmir Makhalov and Polina waltzing.

Malakhov danced with Vienna Staatsoper ballerinas, not Polina, according to the final credits. I believe that the first lady who appeared in Treasure Waltz (but not the lead -- a blonde -- who appeared a bit into the dance) was ex-Kirov corps dancer Maria Yakovleva. I also spotted another ex-Kirovian among the dancers, Kitti Papava. I could have sworn that the tall, gorgeous blonde who was Malakhov's main partner in the Treasure Waltz was ex-Kirov choryphee Olga Yesina, yet her name was not listed in the final credits.

It was lovely, as usual. Enjoyed the kids in Blue Danube. Missed Walter Cronkite...Julie Andrews was a bit stiff and a tad 'self promoting' (comparing Strauss and her pal Henry Mancini whilst showing a film of herself...duhhh???) but it's her first time doing this.

this, from a colleague with very strong connections to Vienna, concerning the dance aspects of this year's NEW YEAR'S FROM VIENNA:

The only Berlin State Ballet dancers were Malakhov, his partner Elena Pris, and the male polka dancer Dinu Tamazlacaru. All others (listed below) were dancers of the Vienna Staatsoper and Volksoper Ballet or its school. Malakhov choreographed the Treasure Waltz (at Castle Esterhazy) and the quick-polka; Vienna's Lukas Gaudernak choreographed the Blue Danube for the pupils.

and here the credits in full in German?

NEUJAHRSKONZERT 2009

Dirigent: Daniel Barenboim

Das Ballett der Wiener Staatsoper und Volksoper

Schloss Esterházy

Choreographie: Vladimir Malakhov

Kostüme: Christof Cremer

Assistent des Choreographen: Lukas Gaudernak

"Schatz-Walzer". op. 418

Elena Pris*, Vladimir Malakhov

Iliana Chivarova, Nina Poláková, Maria Yakovleva

Kirill Kourlaev, Eno Peci, Mihail Sosnovschi

"Eljen a Magyar!" Schnell-Polka op. 332

Ketevan Papava, Dinu Tamazlacaru*

Ballettschule der Wiener Staatsoper

Musikvereinsgebäude

"An der schönen blauen Donau". Walzer op. 314

Choreographie: Lukas Gaudernak

Kostüme: Christof Cremer

3 Elevinnen, 3 Eleven der Ballettschule der Wiener Staatsoper

* Staatsballett Berlin

Can someone tell us something about the two companies -- Staatsoper and Volksoper -- and possibly compare them?

Sorry to be a Grinch about this, but I stopped watching these performances years ago. My thought at the time was: Who knew there could be so MANY ways to show essentially the same affected waltz/polka/gallop choreography in so many kinds of cold, empty rococco drawing rooms and foyers?

Surely Vienna in the time of both Strausses offered more red-bloodedness and stimulation and than this. Was the choreography, considering that Malakhov was involved, more interesting this time around?

Having been to Vienna and seen all those old palaces I find it wonderful to remember. This year as it is the Haydn jubilee year I was sitting there waiting for some reference to Elssler - but no. Fanny Elssler's father worked for Haydn and for the Esterhazys. In the castle of Esterhazy there is kept the original costume that Elssler wore in "La Cachucha", it is now many years since I saw it, but if mem. serves it was pink with black lace.

In recent years there has been a bit more boldness in repertory, many old favorites are played but they also endeavour to include some very unknown pieces by Strauss - many of those are in my opinion better than the usual fare.

I have seen every concert since they started showing it on TV and one can notice a remarkable change. The choreography used to be an end-of-term-display variety, the dancers used to be (allow me to be rude now) rather pudgy, but today they look like any other company so on the whole there is a great improvement.

The Vienna Philharmonic needs no improvement, they are always divine - I have heard them a number of times in London and in Vienna. This concert is a great tradition and I do hope they will maintain it. Probably so because it is awful hard to get tickets!

I have seen every concert since they started showing it on TV and one can notice a remarkable change. The choreography used to be an end-of-term-display variety, the dancers used to be (allow me to be rude now) rather pudgy, but today they look like any other company so on the whole there is a great improvement.

Thanks for that report, Pamela. As a result, I have just entered the next performance into my Palm Pilot for 01/01/10 and will definitely give this show a second change. :)

My favourite choreography is from 2000y. Do you remember this fantastic performans with Malakhov and 4 another dancers?????? I love this...

As well I like choreography from 2009 -Eljen a Magyar with my favourite Dinu Tamaslacaru.... I like Dinu Tamaslacaru becouse he is incredibly dynamic and cheerful. It is really worth to see him in the staatsballett berlin...