This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vote for your dream ballet experience for 2009

Dream ballet experience for 2009  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which company would you want to see

• Mariinsky
    • Bolshoi
    • Paris Opera Ballet
    • Royal Ballet
    • Royal Danish Ballet
    • New York City Ballet
    • American Ballet Theater
    • Other -- classical ballet company
    • Other -- contemporary ballet company

I voted for ABT---but I would revisit it as the BT of the 1940's.....oh, to see again:

l. Alonso and Youskevitch in 'Giselle'

2. Kaye, Laing and Tudor in 'Pillar of Fire'

3. Markova or Kaye and Laing in 'Romeo and Juliet'

4. Riabouchinska, Lichine, Hightower, Kriza, Alonso in 'Graduation Ball'

5. Toumanova's 'Black Swan PDD'

6. Robbins, Kriza and Lang in 'Fancy Free'

7. Massine and Toumanova in 'Aleko'

and, I would take you all along with me :wub:

I'm first in line for that performance, remember... :wink:

I would like to return to the Royal Ballet in the 60's to see (again!) Christopher Gable and Lynn Seymour in MacMillan's "Romeo and Juliet"....the most memorable evening of ballet I ever experienced. :wub::bow:

I have a copy of a documentary on Lynn Seymour with clips from that magical pairing and it must have been wonderful to see it live.

I want to be at the Bolshoi Theatre in 1947 when Maya Plisetskaya debuted in the O/O role in Swan Lake. I also wanted to be there when Ulyana Lopatkina debuted in the same role back in the early 1990's and at Ekaterina Kondaurova's recent debut in the role, too. :o

Mariinsky Ballet. Even in an off-period as now, they are The Benchmark. The Mother of Us All.

Mother in a way but Balanchine tried to bring mom into the 20th century and in my opinion mom has never caught up. Forgive me, I know there are many, many fans of Russian dancers here, but I don't agree and I don't think I ever will. There is a freedom of movement that is appealing but, again in my opinion, so much is lacking in subtle musicality and clean technique. A matter of taste I am sure. I am also sure that my idea of clean technique will be disputed. Again a matter of taste. I preferred - Gregory over Makarova in Swan Lake years ago and preferred Murphy over Vishneva recently. Fortunately there are plenty of wonderful dancers out there for us to argue over and enjoy.

So far the top three are Mariinsky (way out in front) followed by Bolshoi and Paris. Is this explained by extensive touring and active video-marketing -- certainly as compared with NYCB, ABT, the Royal and the Danes?

It looks like NYCB is tied with Bolshoi & Paris

It looks like NYCB is tied with Bolshoi & Paris
Woops! You're right, vipa. Sorry for the sloppy graph-reading!. :off topic: :blush: :blush:

More people voted for NYCB than posted a comment. Both pro-NYCB comments were from New Yorkers. The allure of NYCB to the outside world seems to have declined, relatively, over the past few decades. My question about the effects of touring and video -- which Aurora also alluded to in an earlier post -- still stands.

I wonder if the ABT-NYCB comparison in Cuba was largely due to Mme Alonso's relationship with ABT, which as far as I know, still continues.

The exange was real...you guys got Toto and Xiomarita and we had some over there for a while-(Corella, Herrera and others...) This was Mme. doing Grand Bewitchery at her best-(Kevin asisting with the cooking, of course old pal Lucia Chase blinking her eye from up there giving her consent. :off topic: ..he). The result was realy nice.

Meanwhile NYCB were too busy making friends with the Trust.