This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2009 Mariinsky Festival Early DiscussionGomes, Semionova, Valdes to guest

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Oh! Just saw Don Quixote now has (for the moment) a Kitri: Viengsay Valdes (Ballet Nacional de Cuba)!
http://www.mariinsky...09/3/17/1_1900/

:)

#62 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Oh! Just saw Don Quixote now has (for the moment) a Kitri: Viengsay Valdes (Ballet Nacional de Cuba)!
http://www.mariinsky...09/3/17/1_1900/

I am really excited about seeing her at the festival.
Have been watching YouTube clips of her in various ballets
and she seems to have it all.

I certainly look forward to her Kitri, and to anything else she
may dance at the Gala.

John

#63 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

If anything, expect anti-gravity balances. She stays, and stays...and then stays some more...and THEN she may do developpe to go in attitude devant, or from attitude derriere to something else, or standing in arabesque on pointe, and then starting doing a deep penchee...all while in balance...or something else . Oh, I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff from Vi.

#64 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:03 AM

Mikhail Lobukhin replaces Vladimir Shklyarov in the first cast of The Little Humpbacked Horse.

http://www.mariinsky...009/3/14/1_1800

Tough. There goes the fairytale book... :)

#65 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:35 AM

Mikhail Lobukhin replaces Vladimir Shklyarov in the first cast of The Little Humpbacked Horse.

http://www.mariinsky...009/3/14/1_1800

And a return to serious discussion I hope.

#66 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:15 AM

The fairy tale "went away"earlier, when the 2nd Tsar Maiden was announced. So this was the choreographer's choice, was it?

Working 'from a remote locale' until just before the Fest begins, so cannot post too much 'til the reviews start to come. Sorry for my seeming-absence.

#67 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

Tough. There goes the fairytale book... :(

The fairy tale "went away"earlier, when the 2nd Tsar Maiden was announced.

Oh, Somova, right...? :off topic:

#68 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

If anything, expect anti-gravity balances. She stays, and stays...and then stays some more...and THEN she may do developpe to go in attitude devant, or from attitude derriere to something else, or standing in arabesque on pointe, and then starting doing a deep penchee...all while in balance...or something else . Oh, I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff from Vi.

Judging from youtube clips (so take it for what it's worth) , she seems like a very flashy dancer. She inserts balances seemingly anywhere she can get one anchored, even in something like Odette's Act 2 variation. This is too , too much for me. She seems willing to break the musical line anywhere to get a roar from the audience. Sorry, it seems pretty tasteless to me.

#69 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

I've been watching her ever since she came out of ballet school, and you just voiced what the general consensus was in Havana back then. I was telling another poster recently that even if she was all about pyrotechnics-(which she's at absolutely easy at)-she could never master the romantic ballets the way her rival and truly Prima back then, Lorna Feijoo, did. But, on the other side...her Kitri is just a real pleasure to watch, and I haven't seen that many ballerinas approaching the role, technically and dramatically, a good as she does.

#70 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

she could never master the romantic ballets

She danced Giselle in London 3 or 4 years ago and though I got very tired of her long, and inappropriate, balances in Act 1, there was absolutely no sign of them in Act 2 and she was really lovely!

#71 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

...her Rose Adagio is surreal. I remember from one time when she danced it, when she lowered her arm from the couronne position to her second suitor during the first set of balances, she suddenly declined and decided not to get his support , rasing it back up, just to calmly offered it back to the next suitor, so imagine...THAT unsupported balance lasted...well, WAY more than what Petipa intended I guess... :off topic:

#72 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

International Stars Gala:

I. WHO CARES?
Igor Zelensky, Elena Lytkina, Natalia Yershova, Anna Zharova and artists of the Novosibirsk State Opera and Ballet Theatre

II. DIVERTISSEMENT
Ulyana Lopatkina, Diana Vishneva, Viktoria Tereshkina, Yevgenia Obraztsova, Angel Corella, Marcelo Gomes, Vladimir Malakhov, Leonid Sarafanov, Ivan Kozlov, Mikhail Lobukhin

III. THEME AND VARIATIONS
Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov and artists of the Mariinsky Ballet

http://www.mariinsky...09/3/22/1_1900/

#73 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

Alina Somova...(..)

:off topic:

#74 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Alina Somova...(..)

:(

Cubanmiamiboy, I see your "Theme & Variations" and raise you a "Giselle:" Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009. Time: 7:00 p.m., Location: The Maryinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg. The debutante: A. Somova :).

#75 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

Alina Somova...(..)

The debutante: A. Somova :huh:.

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):