This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2009 Mariinsky Festival Early Discussion

I would just add that it is a long time since I last saw any younger female or male dancers of the Maryinsky Ballet that I would describe as "fabulous" which in any case with respect, is a term more suitable to a teen fanzine than in an arena where serious discussion takes place.

I think that "fabulous" has changed its usage from its teen fanzine days and has been co-opted by adults. I'm afraid that today's teen-speak is text-speak, and no word has a more than the maximum of four letters, u c. I had an easier time understanding the French surtitles to "Lady Macbeth in Msensk" at Paris Opera Ballet than a text message I received from a 15-year-old friend of the family. (And I still don't know how the "Kos" in "Daily Kos" is supposed to be pronounced.)

I would just add that it is a long time since I last saw any younger female or male dancers of the Maryinsky Ballet that I would describe as "fabulous" which in any case with respect, is a term more suitable to a teen fanzine than in an arena where serious discussion takes place.

I think that "fabulous" has changed its usage from its teen fanzine days and has been co-opted by adults. I'm afraid that today's teen-speak is text-speak, and no word has a more than the maximum of four letters, u c. I had an easier time reading the French surtitles to "Lady Macbeth in Msensk" at Paris Opera Ballet. than a text message I received from a 15-year-old friend of the family. (And I still don't know how the "Kos" in "Daily Kos" is supposed to be pronounced.)

Thank you Helene you have just made me feeeel my age. However I would say in England only people on television use the word extravagantly or those of course who think themselves as being 'fabulous'. It is a word I learnt at school when discussions on the Ottoman Empire took place. Does that sound snobbish enough?

Thak you Helene you have just made me feeel my age. However I would say in England only people on television use the word extravagently or those of course who think themselves as being 'fabulous'. It is a word I learnt at school when discussions on the Ottoman Empire took place. Does that sound snobbish enough?

:) I think that on TV that is pronounced, "Faaaaaaaaaaa bulous".

.... legendary dancer without a peer in his own time(and even until today in his best roles) in highly technical demi-character roles to be described as " a diminutive pale-blonde lad a-la Vladimir Vasiliev" indicates I do not know what, as it appears you have quite clearly dismissed him as inferior type to Schklyarov.....

Dear Leonid, please do not infer anything. I have met and indeed know Mr. Vasiliev personally. He IS surprisingly short - and handsome/elegant -- and has often mentioned that he was initially surprised to have been cast in leading princely roles. Needless to say, one does not have to be of minimum height to be a prince; just as Baryshnikov and another FABULOUS Vasiliev, Ivan! :clapping:

What a day to travel, my friends - the first substantial snowfall in Washington, DC, in the past four years or so. Maybe the fates are preparing me for a snowy, icy sojourn in my favorite Ballet Capital? Well, I am off to Mother Russia today for a mixture of business and ballet-viewing pleasure. Thanks to the press office at the Mariinsky, I should be reporting exclusively on the 9th Mariinsky Festival for Ballet Talk. A performances thread will be opened shortly. In the meantime, folks can continue to report updates to the ever-changing schedule/castings sheet. I am sure that by the time the Festival begins on the 14th, lots of elements shall have changed.

Well, I am off to Mother Russia today for a mixture of business and ballet-viewing pleasure. Thanks to the press office at the Mariinsky, I should be reporting exclusively on the 9th Mariinsky Festival for Ballet Talk. A performances thread will be opened shortly.

Great news, Natalia. I'm looking forward to the reports -- and reports from others as well, I hope -- and to the discussion they spark. :clapping:

If anything, expect anti-gravity balances. She stays, and stays...and then stays some more...and THEN she may do developpe to go in attitude devant, or from attitude derriere to something else, or standing in arabesque on pointe, and then starting doing a deep penchee...all while in balance...or something else . Oh, I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff from Vi.

Tough. There goes the fairytale book... :)

The fairy tale "went away"earlier, when the 2nd Tsar Maiden was announced. So this was the choreographer's choice, was it?

Working 'from a remote locale' until just before the Fest begins, so cannot post too much 'til the reviews start to come. Sorry for my seeming-absence.

If anything, expect anti-gravity balances. She stays, and stays...and then stays some more...and THEN she may do developpe to go in attitude devant, or from attitude derriere to something else, or standing in arabesque on pointe, and then starting doing a deep penchee...all while in balance...or something else . Oh, I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff from Vi.

Judging from youtube clips (so take it for what it's worth) , she seems like a very flashy dancer. She inserts balances seemingly anywhere she can get one anchored, even in something like Odette's Act 2 variation. This is too , too much for me. She seems willing to break the musical line anywhere to get a roar from the audience. Sorry, it seems pretty tasteless to me.

I've been watching her ever since she came out of ballet school, and you just voiced what the general consensus was in Havana back then. I was telling another poster recently that even if she was all about pyrotechnics-(which she's at absolutely easy at)-she could never master the romantic ballets the way her rival and truly Prima back then, Lorna Feijoo, did. But, on the other side...her Kitri is just a real pleasure to watch, and I haven't seen that many ballerinas approaching the role, technically and dramatically, a good as she does.

...her Rose Adagio is surreal. I remember from one time when she danced it, when she lowered her arm from the couronne position to her second suitor during the first set of balances, she suddenly declined and decided not to get his support , rasing it back up, just to calmly offered it back to the next suitor, so imagine...THAT unsupported balance lasted...well, WAY more than what Petipa intended I guess... :off topic:

International Stars Gala:

I. WHO CARES?

Igor Zelensky, Elena Lytkina, Natalia Yershova, Anna Zharova and artists of the Novosibirsk State Opera and Ballet Theatre

II. DIVERTISSEMENT

Ulyana Lopatkina, Diana Vishneva, Viktoria Tereshkina, Yevgenia Obraztsova, Angel Corella, Marcelo Gomes, Vladimir Malakhov, Leonid Sarafanov, Ivan Kozlov, Mikhail Lobukhin

III. THEME AND VARIATIONS

Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov and artists of the Mariinsky Ballet

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbi...09/3/22/1_1900/

III. THEME AND VARIATIONS

Alina Somova...(..)

:(

Cubanmiamiboy, I see your "Theme & Variations" and raise you a "Giselle:" Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009. Time: 7:00 p.m., Location: The Maryinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg. The debutante: A. Somova :).