77 replies to this topic

#31 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:21 AM

That is awesome, vrsfanatic. Well, I've made up my mind about that Saturday night. It will be Giselle at the Mariinsky instead of Sleeping Beauty at the Hermitage, as much as I would have loved to have seen Tkachenko's Aurora. Can't be in two places at once...

More Good News!

Woohoo, it's Ashley Bouder and Leonid Sarafanov for Don Quixote:

http://www.mariinsky...09/3/17/1_1900/

Also, it's Polina Semionova & Igor Zelensky in Bayadere.

Hmmm...I'm afraid that David Hallberg won't make it unless he dances the Swan Lake or takes part in the final gala.

#32 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:28 AM

Awesome casting!! :FIREdevil:

#33 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

One small update on Ratmansky's Little Humpbacked Horse. As per the Mariinsky website, the ballet now has a subtitle: "ballet fairy tale for children and adults in 3 actions"

Still no official casting, though.

#34 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

Still no official casting, though.

I believe that that Valdimir Shklyarov has been training for the role of Ivan in this new production. Who's going to play the Tsar Maiden is still very unknown, though.

#35 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

? An interesting development regarding the March 21st date at the Mariinsky Festival:

According to an interview appearing in the Spanish press yesterday, Angel Corella said he would be dancing in St. Petersburg on March 21st. I can only assume it's the Giselle with Vishneva. Though I don't see it yet on the Mariinsky site linked in the posts above.

Does anyone know more about this?

#36 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

It could be that Corrella is going to appear at the festival on the 22nd -- the gala; arriving on the 21st. It's easy to mix-up dates. Gomes is healthy and ready to dance GISELLE with Vishneva on the 21st.

Great news that we'll be seeing Corrella, though. Thanks for this possible news!

#37 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:33 AM

Give some, take some away.......

The Mariinsky website added the cast for the first-night Little Humpbacked Horse:
Tsar Maiden Viktoria Tereshkina
Ivanushka Vladimir Shklyarov
Humpbacked Horse Ilya Petrov
Tsar Andrei Ivanov
(no second night cast yet).

And then took away the dancer's name for Kitri in DQ (TBA) and gave the rest of the DQ casting (including Street Dancer E. Kondaurova).

#38 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, chiapuris. Great cast for LHH...but, oh...no Ashley Bouder as Kitri? Fiddlesticks! Maybe they're just waiting to see if she can make the trip and dance the role due to health? If not Bouder then who, I wonder. It won't be Alina Somova because she is scheduled to do Lady Dryad.

I also see that the new Little Humpbacked Horse is now down to being "a ballet in two actions" (rather than three).

#39 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

Lady Dryad? Who's she when she's at home? The Dryads used to have a Queen.

Oh, I get it, Somova's dancing the role ........ and as there is nothing remotely queenly about her............

#40 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

I noticed the casting for the first night and it looks like they DID chose the dancers that looked a lot like illustrations from the 1964 publication of the poem in book form. Notice from these drawings how much Ivanushka resembles Vladimir Shklyarov and the Tsar Maiden resembles Viktoria Tereshkina?

(For those who don't know, you can see the illustrations here: http://az.lib.ru/e/e...text_0020.shtml )

#41 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for posting the charming fairy tale, sacto...and you are 100% correct. I had forgotten that Ivanushka is supposed to be tallish and sandy-brown haired (not a diminutive pale-blonde lad a-la Vladimir Vasiliev) and the Tsar-maiden is supposed to have an exotic black-haired 'Persian look'! Bravo to you...and to the Mariinsky's casting gods. Common sense has finally prevailed. :D Not only that; Schklyarov & Terioshkina are both fabulous dancers.

#42 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

It could be that Corrella is going to appear at the festival on the 22nd -- the gala; arriving on the 21st. It's easy to mix-up dates. Gomes is healthy and ready to dance GISELLE with Vishneva on the 21st.

Great news that we'll be seeing Corrella, though. Thanks for this possible news!

Well now the latest news posted on his company website is that Angel Corella is appearing APRIL 11 in a gala for the "Open Dance Festival" (?) in St. Petersburg; not this month's Mariinsky Festival. He will be performing Stanton Welch's "We Got It Good" which was originally choreographed as his solo for the "Kings of Dance" tour.
I sure wish someone could get their schedules straight. Apologies for earlier misinformation. (But don't rely on this either until you see him onstage.)

#43 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for posting the charming fairy tale, sacto...and you are 100% correct. I had forgotten that Ivanushka is supposed to be tallish and sandy-brown haired (not a diminutive pale-blonde lad a-la Vladimir Vasiliev) and the Tsar-maiden is supposed to have an exotic black-haired 'Persian look'! Bravo to you...and to the Mariinsky's casting gods. Common sense has finally prevailed. :D Not only that; Schklyarov & Terioshkina are both fabulous dancers.

:wink:

I actually looked up a Wikipedia article on the actual poem and got that link for the 1964 print run of the book, complete with the right illustrations! It appears that Alexei Ratmansky must have read this specific print run, that's to be sure. :)

#44 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:15 AM

I noticed the casting for the first night and it looks like they DID chose the dancers that looked a lot like illustrations from the 1964 publication of the poem in book form. Notice from these drawings how much Ivanushka resembles Vladimir Shklyarov and the Tsar Maiden resembles Viktoria Tereshkina?

(For those who don't know, you can see the illustrations here: http://az.lib.ru/e/e...text_0020.shtml )

You can believe what you want, but a choreographer like Ratmansky doesn't choose his dancers because of their resemblance with some drawings in a fairytale book.

#45 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

You can believe what you want, but a choreographer like Ratmansky doesn't choose his dancers because of their resemblance with some drawings in a fairytale book.

I would agree with you but that 1964 book edition of the original poem Konyok-Gorbunok is very well-known in Russia, and I'm sure many older Russians know the color drawings from that edition. As such, my view that Ratmansky chose Vladimir Shklyarov to play the role of Ivanushka and Viktoria Tereshkina to play the role of the Tsar Maiden actually makes sense. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):