This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2009 Mariinsky Festival Early Discussion

-This thread is for PRE-FESTIVAL chat, predictions, casting updates, and such -

Just in from the Mariinsky Th. press office, with which I've been in contact. At least three of the foreign guests will be from American companies this year! Well, well, well...Ashley Bouder's Kitri should be Da Bomb -- and opposite Sarafanov, no less. I am truly looking forward to this one. :rofl:

Ninth INTERNATIONAL MARIINSKY BALLET FESTIVAL

March 14 - 22, 2009

(subject to change - as of 12-10-08)

14 MARCH - “Little Hunched-back Horse” (premiere) , 1st cast

music Rodion Schedrin

choreography Alexey Ratmansky

15 March - “Little Hunched-back Horse” repeat, 2nd cast

16 March to-be-determined

17 March - “Don-Quixote”

Ashley Bouder (NYCB)

Leonid Sarafanov (Mariinsky Theatre)

18 March - “Swan Lake”

David Halberg (ABT)

Victoria Tereshkina (Mariinsky Theatre)

19 March - “Sleeping Beauty”

Matthieu Ganio (Paris Opera)

Olesya Novikova (Mariinsky Theatre)

20 March - Uliana Lopatkina Gala

21 March - "Don-Quixote"

Diana Vishneva (Mariinsky Theatre)

and Marcelo Gomes (ABT)

22 March ALL STARS BALLET GALA

I have a really interesting question to ask: who's going to play what role in the new Ratmansky production of Little Hunched-back Horse? The role of Ivan is almost tailor-made for one Vladimir Shklyarov, especially since the pictures from the book of the poem published in the USSR in 1964 show Ivan with almost the exact hair color as Shklyarov. :rofl:

Thanks Natalia for your Festival post!

I just hope that Pavlenko dances (in anything) during the festival.

And that the 16th's program is......Raymonda.

Wouldn't it be great, chiap? For some reason, I keep thinking that there will be a Balanchine triple-bill somewhere in the mix, given the huge number of Balanchines that were recently revived AND new AD Fateev's preferences...but perhaps the Balanchines will be shown during the Lopatkina Gala and/or the final Gala Concert? I definitely vote for a Raymonda and for Daria Pavlenko in anything.

Sacto, I'd love to see Schklyarov but, in the past, Ivan has usually gone to not-too-tall demi-caractere dancers, rather than Noble Prince types, like Shklyarov. I am almost betting on Leonid Sarafanov and/or Andrei Ivanov sharing the role, although Andrian Fadeev has a wonderful 'comic persona' as we've seen in his Lankedem/Corsaire. Actually - I will bet $100 that Sarafanov will be in the mix of Ivans! As for the Tsar Maiden, I can bet that it will go to the newest Primas, Alina Somova and/or Viktoria Tereshkina, although that is just my gut feeling on where the chips are falling nowadays. This being a Ratmansky work, though, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Diana Vishneva may be involved, in which case it may be Vishneva/Fadeev for the opener.

Sacto, I'd love to see Schklyarov but, in the past, Ivan has usually gone to not-too-tall demi-caractere dancers, rather than Noble Prince types, like Shklyarov. I am almost betting on Leonid Sarafanov and/or Andrei Ivanov sharing the role, although Andrian Fadeev has a wonderful 'comic persona' as we've seen in his Lankedem/Corsaire.

From looking the pages of the 1964 book published in the USSR of this long poem, which you can see here:

http://az.lib.ru/e/ershow_p_p/text_0020.shtml

I think both Leonid Sarafanov and Andrian Fadeyev could play the role of Ivan, given they'll be perfect for this role if the Mariinsky troupe wants to closely match the drawings in this book. But since the poem's Ivan is pretty young character, I wouldn't put it above Shklyarov playing Ivan too.

Thanks Natalia for your Festival post!

I just hope that Pavlenko dances (in anything) during the festival.

And that the 16th's program is......Raymonda.

Wouldn't it be great, chiap? For some reason, I keep thinking that there will be a Balanchine triple-bill somewhere in the mix, given the huge number of Balanchines that were recently revived AND new AD Fateev's preferences...but perhaps the Balanchines will be shown during the Lopatkina Gala and/or the final Gala Concert? I definitely vote for a Raymonda and for Daria Pavlenko in anything.

Sacto, I'd love to see Schklyarov but, in the past, Ivan has usually gone to not-too-tall demi-caractere dancers, rather than Noble Prince types, like Shklyarov. I am almost betting on Leonid Sarafanov and/or Andrei Ivanov sharing the role, although Andrian Fadeev has a wonderful 'comic persona' as we've seen in his Lankedem/Corsaire. Actually - I will bet $100 that Sarafanov will be in the mix of Ivans! As for the Tsar Maiden, I can bet that it will go to the newest Primas, Alina Somova and/or Viktoria Tereshkina, although that is just my gut feeling on where the chips are falling nowadays. This being a Ratmansky work, though, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Diana Vishneva may be involved, in which case it may be Vishneva/Fadeev for the opener.

Tsar Maiden? Lopatkina, of course :wink: And how about Lobukhin or Sergeyev for the male role?

Thanks, Marc. Actually, I was also thinking Sergeev, who can certainly do demi-caractere, as per his Espada. To be honest, I did not think of Lopatkina at all as she has not taken part in any major premieres in years....not since the Neumeier 3ple bill -- specifically, in Sound of Empty Pages -- a while back, right? She takes part in only Mariinsky premieres of short gala bits of newish choreography (Rose Malade or Trois Gymnopedies)...with the applause lasting twice or three times as long as the ballet.

It seems like it, canbelto...and another gala at each White Nights Festival? :wink: Seriously, though, it appears that way because EVERY Lopatkina performance at one of these festivals has the air of a gala. In fact, I think that the only prior gala for Lopatkina at a Mariinsky Festival was in 2005 -- the year when they did a gala for each of the three leading ballerinas (Vishneva, Pavlenko, Lopatkina). Then there was another Gala for Lopatkina that very year, during the summer White Nights Festival. After 2005, I believe that a Lopatkina Gala was held in Tokyo, during the Kirov's 2006 tour of Japan.

But you are right - it really DOES seem as if every year has a Lopatkina Gala. Hey, she is a lovely, great ballerina in adagio. She is a name in the Russian pop culture, transcending the arts. I say -- let's give her a gala each month. She deserves it! :)

I am very curious as to why this lone Lopatkina Gala at the upcoming festival. Why this - why now? I have a hunch - a crazy, unfounded hunch - that some big announcement may be made during the upcoming gala regarding a possible new permanent position in the company for the ballerina? Yuri Fateev is just the Interim Artistic Director, after all (as per the playbill during the recent California tour, if not the Mariinsky website). Just a dumb hunch...

But you are right - it really DOES seem as if every year has a Lopatkina Gala. Hey, she is a lovely, great ballerina in adagio. She is a name in the Russian pop culture, transcending the arts. I say -- let's give her a gala each month. She deserves it! :wink:

Wasn't there an article in ballet.co.uk about three years ago that described Ulyana Lopatkina as the "Soul of Russia," whatever that means? Right now, if she were to do the title role in Raymonda again the tickets for that performance will sell out in no time flat.

Which does remind me--I saw online pictures of Lopatkina's recent Odette/Odile performance. Beautiful as ever, but she seems to have a much more "mature" look than before--must be the fact she's not wearing a wig like it was from the 1990's performances or the April 2006 performance that's now available on DVD.

I for one would love to see Lopatkina do something special for the Festival, though. A performance of Raymonda with her in the title role on 16 March 2009 would make a lot of sense, so she'll have four days' rest before performing in her own gala on the 20th.

As normally happens, the schedule for the upcoming Mariinsky Festival is being altered somewhat. I received this latest update from an independent ticket broker in St. Petersburg which is usually quite realible.This has yet to be verified with the MT; however, as a service to get the word out to interested parties, here it is. Note: no casting given, except for the obvious (Vishneva & Lopatkina events).

March 14 - 22, 2009

(subject to change - as of 1-22-09)

14 MARCH - “Little Hunched-back Horse” (premiere) , 1st cast

music Rodion Schedrin

15 March - “Little Hunched-back Horse” repeat, 2nd cast

16 March - Diana Vishneva's 'Beauty in Motion' program

17 March - “Don-Quixote” (according to the first post, this will feature Bouder/Sarafanov)

18 March - “Swan Lake” (according to first post, this will feature Tereshkina/Hallberg)

19 March - Uliana Lopatkina Gala (no longer “Sleeping Beauty” on this night - no SB, in fact)

20 March - La Bayadere, 1940s version (in place of Uliana Lopatkina Gala - moved up to the 19th; perhaps this Bayadere will feature the stars of the originally-announced Sleeping Beauty, Novikova/Ganio?)

21 March - Giselle (in place of a 2nd "Don-Quixote" that was to have been with Vishneva/Gomes)

22 March ALL STARS BALLET GALA

For those attending the Festival, you may want to consider also attending one of several performances of 'Le Corsaire' that will be going on at the Mikhailovsky (ex Maly-Moussorgsky) Theater. This is a brand-new version, rather than the complete Peter Gusev version that had been in the repertoire of the Maly troupe since the 1950s.

- Natalia Nabatova

Yet another update, this time from the Mariinsky website. Athough it is not complete. here is what they cite:

March 14 - 22, 2009

(subject to change - as of 1-28-09)

14 MARCH - LITTLE HUMPBACKED HORSE (premiere) , 1st cast

music Rodion Schedrin

CONDUCTOR: VALERY GERGIEV

15 March (TYPO ON MARIINSKY SITE: a 2nd perf on MAR 14) - LITTLE HUMPBACKED HORSE repeat, 2nd cast

16 March - ?????? [balletandopera.com cite Diana Vishneva's BEAUTY IN MOTION program for this day; not mentioned on Vishneva's own site, so I would not bank on this]

17 March - DON QUIXOTE (according to the first post, this will feature Bouder/Sarafanov)

18 March - SWAN LAKE (according to first post, this will feature Tereshkina/Hallberg but it has been reported Tereshkina/Ganio on Russian fan board)

19 March - ULIANAN LOPATKINA GALA

20 March [ANOTHER TYPO on Mariinsky web, which has Bayadere on the 18th, same as the Swan Lake] - BAYADERE, 1940s version

21 March - ????? although balletandopera.com report GISELLE (in place of a 2nd "Don-Quixote" that was to have been with Vishneva/Gomes)

22 March - ????? although balletandopera.com report ALL STARS BALLET GALA

The Festival schedule is now on the Mariinsky website and tickets are on sale:

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbi...009&month=3

However, casting has yet to be announced, details of the gala nights (Lopatkina and the Final) are missing, and no program has been announced for March 16...the night that is rumored to be set-aside for Vishneva's 'Beauty in Motion.'

Balletomanes traveling to St. Petersburg for the Festival may also want to consider attending a performance or two at other ballet venues in the city. For example, the "2nd company" of the city -- the Mikhailovsky (ex Maly/Moussorgsky) Theater Ballet, led by Farouk Ruzimatov and Oleg Vinogradov -- will be presenting a brand-new CORSAIRE on March 13, the night before the start of the Mariinsky Fest (and repeating it several times during the Festival period). Also, the gorgeous little neo-classical theater in the Hermitage-Winter Palace will be presenting some ballets during this period, including a complete SLEEPING BEAUTY on March 21 (the night of the Festival's GISELLE). Finally, although not yet announced, the annual "Dance Open Festival" at the Conservatory -- across the street from the Mariinsky -- usually takes place in tandem with the Mariinsky Fest. So lots will be happening.

For example, the "2nd company" of the city -- the Maly/Moussorgsky Theater Ballet, led by Farouk Ruzimatov and Oleg Vinogradov -- will be presenting CORSAIRE on March 13, the night before the start of the Mariinsky Fest (and repeating it several times during the Festival period).

So that's where Vinogradov ended up! (I thought after the disastrous experience with his version of Swan Lake he got exiled from the city.) I've heard that the Maly performance version of Le Corsaire is more complete than the Mariinsky version, too.

Sacto, I know that you did not mean anything negative at all but I will 'expand on' your comment about Mr. Vinogradov's whereabouts. In fact, between finishing his directorship at the Mariinsky in '95/96 and commencing his present assignment as a 'consultant' to the Maly/Mikahilovsky Theater Ballet, he successfully headed the Universal Ballet Company of Seoul, Korea, as well as the Washington, DC-based "Kirov Academy" (aka, formerly, Universal Ballet Academy). In other words, he didn't simply jump from one St. Petersburg troupe to another.

p.s. Vinogradov headed the Maly in the mid-1970s...what led to his appointment to the Mariinsky in the late-70s. So, in fact, he seems to have gone Full Circle.

OK - back to discussion on this yr's Mariinsky Festival schedule, please. :wink: Once the festival begins, I will start a new topic for reviews and reports of the actual performances. I'll definitely try to post something on the Maly CORSAIRE, too.

The Festival schedule is now on the Mariinsky website and tickets are on sale:

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbi...009&month=3

Balletomanes traveling to St. Petersburg for the Festival may also want to consider attending a performance or two at other ballet venues in the city. For example, the "2nd company" of the city -- the Maly/Moussorgsky Theater Ballet, led by Farouk Ruzimatov and Oleg Vinogradov -- will be presenting CORSAIRE on March 13,

Just to correct the name of the theatre and company name.

The theatre in question has since 2007 reverted to its original name of the Mikhailovsky and the ballet company has taken its name. In this same year the Russian businessman Vladimir Kekhman was appointed General Director of the theatre and donated $25 million rubles for its renovation and appointed Yelena Obratsova to take charge of the opera and Farouk Ruzimatov as Artistic Director of the ballet.

As regards Oleg Vinogradov’s involvement with the theatre, forgive my poor translation but in the Russian newspaper “Nezavisimaya Gazeta” of 19 January 2009 Irina Gubskaya states that Vinogradov”… without noise left the Mikhailovsky Theatre and no joint plans remain.”

Whoa...I did not know that, Leonid. Thanks for the update on OV. Well, now I know not to ask for him. :wink:

I actually mention 'Mikhailovsky' also. We should just call it "Triple M" (for Maly, Mikhailovsky and Mussorgsky...the 3M Theater).

However, Vinogradov is still named as "guest choreographer" on the troupe's brand-new slick website. Hmmm...

The Mariinsky website now has a page devoted to the Festival offerings. Still no casting. No performance slated for the Monday night -- the night that was rumored to be Vishneva's 'Beauty in Motion' show.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/festiv...ival_mariinsky/

March 14 - 22, 2009

(subject to change - as of 2-5-09)

14 MARCH - LITTLE HUMPBACKED HORSE (premiere) , 1st cast

music Rodion Schedrin

CONDUCTOR: VALERY GERGIEV

15 March - LITTLE HUMPBACKED HORSE repeat, 2nd cast

16 March - no performance

17 March - DON QUIXOTE (Bouder/Sarafanov?)

18 March - SWAN LAKE (Tereshkina/Ganio?)

19 March - ULIANAN LOPATKINA GALA

20 March - BAYADERE, 1940s version (no clues to casting)

21 March - GISELLE (in place of a 2nd "Don-Quixote" that was to have been with Vishneva/Gomes)

22 March - ALL STARS BALLET GALA

The Mariinsky website now has a page devoted to the Festival offerings.... No performance slated for the Monday night.....

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/festiv...ival_mariinsky/

Natalia,

I had an email from the Mariinsky box office about my tickets just two days ago, and they asked me

whether I would want tickets for Monday, the 16th if and when the evening was added.

I replied I would be interested (I wouldn't if it's Beauty in Motion).

But I take it there's hope for an added night.

Otherwise, this is one of the shortest of festivals.

Thanks for this, chiapuris. Like you, I am not at all interested in seeing 'Beauty in Motion.' City Center 2008 was enough for me, thank you. A well-intentioned vanity project...but vanity project nonetheless. It sounds to me, if it is indeed Beauty in Motion, that Vishneva and her manager-producer (Danielian?) may be trying to strike a deal with the Mariinsky for control of box-office receipts. I say - enough is enough. The Mariinsky should not be in the business of 'selling its stage' to the highest bidder. If Vishneva wants to present Beauty in Motion as a private enterprise, let her rent the Alexandrinsky or even the Oktyabrisky Concert Hall, like Volochkova and other private dancers do. Please do not cheapen the grand Mariinsky name.

Instead of Beauty in Motion, I am hoping that another regular-repertory ballet may be added, e.g., a Raymonda, never seen in its entirety at a Mariinsky Festival.

p.s. To follow-up on Leonid's earlier post, I see that the Mikhailovsky Ballet (ex-Maly, ex-Mussogsky) now has its own new slick website:

http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/

I also see that the Fri., March 13 Le Corsaire (repeated multiple times in March '09) will be brand new, so I am almost certain that the Matvienkos will be performing the first night. The old Peter Gusev production that I assumed this would be is being laid to rest. [They DO have a bit of chutzpa in doing this...scheduling a major full-length premiere the night after the Bolshoi will premiere its Coppelia in Moscow...and the night before the premiere of the Mariinsky's Little Humpbacked Horse! I predict that Russian balletomanes from the two cities will be shuttling back-and-forth to take-in all of the ballet premieres during the four-day period. It will be a crazy weekend of full-length classical ballet premieres in the two 'ballet capitals' of Russia.]

Also, I see that ex-Kirov (& Maly) luminaries, Alla Osipenko and Nikita Dolgushin, are the head coaches of the troupe. Furthermore, they keep snapping-up great dancers for their ranks...including former Eifman prima, Vera Arbuzova (or Red Giselle fame), who just joined.

(I also began a thread about the Mikhailovsky Ballet elsewhere, for continued discussion on that company, here: http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=28915 )

Vishneva could not post anything until a 'deal' is struck, canbelto. Most interesting is that she lists NO Mariinsky Festival performances at all, which is most disappointing, as she was originally (unofficially) scheduled for a performance of DON Q with Marcello Gomes on March 21.

I sure hope that all of the "early unofficial" foreign guests -- Bouder, Hallberg, Gomes and Ganio -- will make the trip and dance in something, even if just a small gala piece on the last night.