18 replies to this topic

#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

I can't take any credit for it. It's an old Latin saying, sometimes credited to Marcus Tullius Cicero, and with the verb at the end, I guess he would have expressed it that way, if he ever used it! Usually, when he encountered opposition to his opinions, he said, "Exi!" (Get out!)

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,227 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Yet another great topic for this forum from Mel. You're really on a roll. :)

Leigh Witchel writes:

I'd have to say a lot of Helgi Tomasson's work - the interesting thing is that even if the choreography is beige, it's well-tailored, astute beige.

My feelings exactly. It's not great but it's not awful, and it's generally tailored to some need he sees in the reportory or to showcase a dancer or dancer(s).

#18 Philip

Philip

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

This is what I used to, and still do, call a "De Gustibus" thread. Not everybody's beige ballet will be beige to everybody else. My nominee for Balanchine Beige is, believe it or not, "Divertimento #15". That it is workmanlike, I don't dispute. That it looks like fun to dance, I don't doubt, but to me it just looks like what it is, a ballet set to dinner music.

LOL! When I performed this ballet and we did it in blues and greens! So much for Karinska's determination of standardization, LOL!

-Philip

#19 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

Karinska's costumes are yellow.

But beige has more to it than costume/decor. It's just a blandness that makes the viewing of a ballet untroubling, but at the same time, unmemorable. I can remember a ballet by John Taras, "La Guirlande de Campra" that was a beige ballet, except it was all dressed up to go somewhere; it apparently did and didn't come back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):