This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

the music of Mayerling

The music of Mayerling was from Franz Liszt.But who arranged it? I bought some CD of Franz Liszt,but they are not as appealing as the music in Mayerling.

By the way what's your favorite Pas de deux from Kenneth MacMillan?

And what's your favorite Pas de deux from Mayerling?Sometimes I like Stephanie and Rudolf's Pas de deux,sometimes I like Mary Vertsera and Rudolf's first Pas de deux,sometimes I like Mary Vertsera and Rudolf's second Pas de deux.

For Kenneth MacMillan,Mayerling is my favorite.It is beyond Manon,Winter Dreams,Judas Tree,and even Romeo et Juliet in my view.

Does Royal Ballet still perform Mayerling?

The music of Mayerling was from Franz Liszt.But who arranged it? I bought some CD of Franz Liszt,but they are not as appealing as the music in Mayerling.

The music is arranged by John Lanchberry, an English conductor and composer, who has made a lot of musical arrangements for ballets, using existing music. You can read more about him here: Lanchberry

He's very clever at it but it's true there's often not much likeness with the original left. The same can be said about Leighthon Lukas' adaption of Massenet's music for MacMillans ballet Manon. I love it but it's not Massenet anymore!

Does Royal Ballet still perform Mayerling?

Last time it was revived was in the Spring season 2007 - read more here: Mayerling

the following Liszt works are specifically named in a program essay about MAYERLING and Lanchbery's arrangements for a score:

Faust Symphony

Mephisto Waltz

Twelve Transcendental Studies

Soirée de Vienne

in closing his essay for the ballet's gala program essay, Lanchbery writes:

"Generally speaking, I have cast my net wide, not only among the vast quantity of piano works big and small, early and late, but also the wonderful orchestral tone poems, a musical form invented by Liszt."