This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Lev Atamanov's "Ballerina on a boat"from the Masters Of Russian Animation DVD Series.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

This is another soviet old clip from a very simple but captivating, colored-in line drawing cartoon by Lev Atamanov about the impact a ballerina has on the crew of a passenger ship during a voyage. I digged a little and found that the director referenced to the art of the French impressionist Raoul Dufy paired with the score written by Alfred Schnittke-(which I think is beautiful). More digging got me to find that the film was choreographed by two dancers from the Bolshoi Ballet-(couldn't get their names... :( ). This film is 17 min. long and can be watched in its entirety on the Masters Of Russian Animation DVD set - an extraordinary collection of Russia's most important animated short films by Russia's world renowned directors. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as i did...

#2 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

Wow. :(

If Amazon is selling the DVD you mentioned, I'm getting it.

Unlike that other video you referenced, this appears to be more a true rotoscoping work or the Bolshoi dancers made a film of the movements and the animators based their drawings on the "live" film--the dance movements are just too natural looking for "pure" animation.

#3 James

James

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for this clip, with such a wonderful dreamlike quality, just like ballet...

#4 i_like_to_draw

i_like_to_draw

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the clip! I'm making an animated ballet this year and this was really good. It doesn't look rotoscoped to me, just well referenced, maybe from a real ballet dancer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):