This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Lev Atamanov's "Ballerina on a boat"from the Masters Of Russian Animation DVD Series.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

This is another soviet old clip from a very simple but captivating, colored-in line drawing cartoon by Lev Atamanov about the impact a ballerina has on the crew of a passenger ship during a voyage. I digged a little and found that the director referenced to the art of the French impressionist Raoul Dufy paired with the score written by Alfred Schnittke-(which I think is beautiful). More digging got me to find that the film was choreographed by two dancers from the Bolshoi Ballet-(couldn't get their names... :( ). This film is 17 min. long and can be watched in its entirety on the Masters Of Russian Animation DVD set - an extraordinary collection of Russia's most important animated short films by Russia's world renowned directors. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as i did...

#2 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

Wow. :(

If Amazon is selling the DVD you mentioned, I'm getting it.

Unlike that other video you referenced, this appears to be more a true rotoscoping work or the Bolshoi dancers made a film of the movements and the animators based their drawings on the "live" film--the dance movements are just too natural looking for "pure" animation.

#3 James

James

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for this clip, with such a wonderful dreamlike quality, just like ballet...

#4 i_like_to_draw

i_like_to_draw

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the clip! I'm making an animated ballet this year and this was really good. It doesn't look rotoscoped to me, just well referenced, maybe from a real ballet dancer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):