This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

David Hallberg

Gallica

Perhaps she'll be the next to be replaced, because it's hard to understand how she could have withdrawn from all her Royal Ballet performances until January, and still be able to dance in Milan in two weeks' time. The La Scala Ballet likes to make cast change announcements at the last minute, even when it's plainly obvious for months in advance that an advertised dancer is unable to appear.

It would seem he is in Australia, based on a post last month by Yuriko Kajiya.

https://instagram.com/p/BH2I9ALgNZt/

And the photographer credited in Hallberg's most recent Instagram post has taken several pictures of the Australian Ballet, including a shot of their full-length "Nijinsky" ballet that is stylistically very similar to the b&w shot of Hallberg.

https://instagram.com/p/BIrurWvh0L4/

So my bet is on him guesting with the Australian Ballet. It would seem a good way to ease back into ballet world, away from European and American critics.

Can someone explain to me what this seeming trend in nebulous Instagram posts is all about? I've seen similar posts from younger (non-famous) folks as well and frankly, I find it somewhat annoying.

I get he's trying to create a buzz, but...."coming out of the shadows," ... "Act II"

Apologies, but I prefer the straight on approach.

Regardless of what it is, just post 'it.' His many fans have missed his presence and would love to know his next steps.

Wonderful to read this. Hope his return to the ballet stage goes well in every way!

(Remembering having seen Erik Bruhn dance a charming, funny Franz, I like to imagine Hallberg--whom I think of as having the same kind of elegance=-also having the same kind of success.) 

I was fortunate enough to be in the audience for tonight's performance.  It is a charming, energetic, and beautiful production.  David Hallberg displayed his characteristic immersion and depth, regarding character. There isn't a moment he is anything but fully present as Franz.  The Australian Ballet rose fully to the challenge, showing their classical chops. The orchestra was divine.  A lovely, lovely evening in one of the world's great theaters.  And the best part? Seeing David Hallberg so full of joy.  Wishing him all the best.

15 hours ago, Arizona Native said:

And the best part? Seeing David Hallberg so full of joy.  Wishing him all the best.

I haven't seen much of him, as I live far from his usual theaters, but I do know how incredibly frustrating it is to be injured, and what a thrill it is to get back to dancing.  So glad he's able to make that transition!

On 12/16/2016 at 3:54 PM, Arizona Native said:

I was fortunate enough to be in the audience for tonight's performance.  It is a charming, energetic, and beautiful production.  David Hallberg displayed his characteristic immersion and depth, regarding character. There isn't a moment he is anything but fully present as Franz.  The Australian Ballet rose fully to the challenge, showing their classical chops. The orchestra was divine.  A lovely, lovely evening in one of the world's great theaters.  And the best part? Seeing David Hallberg so full of joy.  Wishing him all the best.

How does he look physically? Full strength, with all traces of injury fully behind him? Is he soaring again in those dreamlike jetes?

He was beautiful.  Everyone always goes on about his feet, but for me, it is is port-de-bras that knocks me out.  He was having a bit of an "off" turn day, sometimes beginning a little off-kilter, and managed to make even those impressive -- pulling them together, nonetheless, without fail.  Jumps, yes.  Everything. The stage sometimes seemed a bit too small to contain him.   

PS. In the Jones review, she's a bit harsh regarding Amber Scott. That wasn't what I saw in the Friday performance. Ms. Scott was impeccable.  Wonderful actress dancer who gave a smashing performance.